Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Nigerians and drugs in Ireland, it wasn't born yesterday

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Nigerians and drugs in Ireland, it wasn't born yesterday

In 2003 a quarter of all female inmates in Mountjoy were South africans, sent to Ireland as drug mules by Nigerians

'The Nigerians were telling us that when you get caught in Ireland you stay in prison for two years and when you go back the prison authorities send you home with £40 000. So it didn’t bother me - if I got caught, with that money I could do a lot in South Africa.'

'He said that when I got here I had to take a taxi to the Post Office - the General Post Office. And then I had to call a number in South Africa. From there, they’ll give me further instructions.
    from here
    Politics.ie sucks. Farewell suckers
    TheOmbudsman 22/12/2005

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ironically, though, while many of the drug mules have lost years of their lives, many say they have gained from their time in the Irish prisons. They will go home with more skills than they arrived with.

Annemarie: 'I’ve got a whole new future. Things that I never knew I could do, I discovered here. When I think back on the life that I had with my husband and the life that I can give my children now, these are not tears of grief, they are tears of happiness.'

And, probably, tears of relief. Annemarie completed her jail term and was sent back to South Africa soon after we spoke to her. But she and the other drug mules will have to live with what they did for the rest of their lives.

Natasha: I feel pretty bad about what I did because since the moment I arrived here I’ve noticed even the police, they were very nice. The prison staff, they’re nice, the girls here, they’re nice.
    Interesting. Seeing as how it costs the taxpayer €80,000 a year per prisoner, we really should design someway to make that money back: e.g. like how American prisoners manufacture car licence plates.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here'sa story dateline yesterday from the BBC on Nigerian drug mules entering the UK

Foreign women make up 18% of the female prison population and about 60% of them are held on drugs offences.

These include swallowing or "stuffing" packages of cocaine, and carrying drugs in luggage or concealed in clothing.

The apparent shift to Nigeria comes two years after an outcry over the number of Jamaican female drugs mules in British jails, which climbed to more than 440 in 2002.

That number has now fallen to 136 following changes to policy regarding the early release of foreign prisoners and Operation Airbridge, a joint UK and Jamaican scheme that saw people-scanners installed at airports in Jamaica.

The UK Foreign Office also backed an educational programme on the island, aimed at women who may be approached by drug traffickers.

However Olga Heaven, director of the foreign prisoner support charity Hibiscus which led the educational programme in Jamaica, says drugs barons have probably simply moved their trade to elsewhere in the Caribbean and west Africa.

"I believe since the campaign started in Jamaica there has been a direct shift to Trinidad and also Nigeria - Nigeria even more so," she said.
    TheOmbudsman 22/12/2005

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Government should be working on getting a system in place whereby they do their time in their home country. With the co-operation of 10 countries you could probably get rid of 90% of immigrant criminals.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that's an excellent idea, but what's in it for Nigeria or South Africa? Why would they agree? Its not as if half the female prisoners in Nigerian jails are Irish women, so its not like it'd be a prisoner transfer.

We'd have to pay them to take the prisoners. But that could still work: say it costs €15,000 to keep a prisoner in Nigeria for a year. We could pay them €20,000 per prisoner we send back, and still save €60,000 on each prisoner.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here'san international story from June this year about Nigerians operating a scam out of Ireland

New Nigerian Scam Targets Inventors

The e-mail is most often a "yahoo" free webmail services address, which is never used by any important business person, and which, in this case, traces back to Lagos, Nigeria, the place of the notorious internet trade frauders.

The trick is to convince the innocent inventor that the millions of dollars that were promised will be sent to him in cash by air charter from Tokyo to a European destination (Dublin, very exceptionally Madrid). There, the inventor will be dealing with a new contact, who is said to be a "diplomat" - sometimes this "diplomat" is said to be from Barbados or from Jamaica. Then the inventor is informed that his millions of dollars will be given to him only after he has paid himself from his own pocket (to the so-called "diplomat") the expenses involved in the transport and custom duties of the parcel containing the bank notes. The amount of this "advance fee" varies. It is no less than US $16 thousand, but several inventors have been asked much more (up to 32 thousand Euro, that is around US $38 thousand)4.

The inventor has to pay himself his travel ticket to Dublin, and his hotel accomodation. Once in Dublin, the inventor is in the hands of the so-called "diplomat". This "diplomat" (and his assistant) use different fake names, but we know for sure that these men have at least one thing in common: both are English speaking black Africans. The inventor gives them the agreed "advance fee", a copy of the main page(s) of his passport, and signs a paper which authorizes the "diplomat" to retrieve the famous parcel supposed to contain the tens of millions of US dollars promised to the inventor. Different scenarios are possible thereafter, one being that the inventor is informed that some unexpected "problem" came up... He is then asked suddenly to wait a few more days in Dublin, the time for the problem to be settled, and once again has to pay an important sum which is supposed to cover the new expenses… and the story goes on...
    TheOmbudsman 22/12/2005

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is'nt it time we agree that we are the one that introduce some nigerians into the business GIVEN THE FIGURE OF IRISH people arrested for DRUG dealing offence,BUT i do realise indeed that someone on this forum are out to run a HYPE on nigerians which is APPALLING for our (irish) people to start doing just at the eve of the an garda siochana recruitment.infact we should cover our heads in shames cos we are the GOD father that introduce them into the busness in our country,however we should try and locate the perpetrator among our people who introduced them into the business accordingly they should be jailed and deported with them end of story.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here'sa failed compo case by a Nigerian

In dismissing a case brought in the Circuit Court in Tralee by a Nigerian national last November, Judge Harvey Kenny said that "there were no grounds at all" for bringing the case. He awarded costs to the Aqua Dome and suggested that the gardaí should investigate the case.

On March 14, 2000, Sulaimon Awesu, a Nigerian national, took out a monthly membership of the Aqua Dome in Tralee. That same day he said that he cut his toe in the pool. The toe was dressed and he demanded not only his membership money back but also monetary compensation for his suffering. His membership money was returned to him and a taxi was provided to take him to the hospital, but he took the taxi to his residence instead. Later he called an ambulance to take him to casualty.

Next day he returned to the Aqua Dome and again demanded money for his suffering. The staff did not have the authority to pay out money in such circumstances, but the man was told that the Aqua Dome would get him whatever medical treatment he needed. Awesu then went to the gardaí, who told him that, as there was no criminal offence, he would have to speak to a solicitor.

After the case was thrown out of the Circuit Court, Awesu appealed to the High Court. Mr Justice Adrian Hardiman listened to the case made by the plaintiff's legal team last week and then unceremoniously dismissed the appeal on the grounds that there was no evidence of any negligence on the part of the Aqua Dome. He awarded court costs to the Aqua Dome and also commented that the case had "unfortunately occupied the time of two courts wholly without justification".

Mr Justice Hardiman was further critical of the calling of the ambulance. "By no stretch of the imagination could the injury described require an ambulance," the judge told the court.

"We are talking about an injury of the most inconsiderable kind."

At present the Aqua Dome estimates that this case will have cost it 10,000 euro in legal fees, not to mention the amount of time wasted by staff in the whole matter. Of course, it was awarded costs but the Manager, Kieran Ruttledge, estimates that the "chances of recovering any money from Mr Awesu are slim as we believe he is not in gainful employment".
    TheOmbudsman 22/12/2005

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nigerian arrested after airport drugs find

11:40:33 AM

Gardai have arrested a non-national after a drugs find. The Nigerian man was found with almost €40,000 worth of drugs at Dublin airport. The 15 kilos of herbal cannabis were found in the 50-year-olds luggage.

Gardai had been searching luggage following routine profiling. The Nigerian has been taken to Santry Garda station for questioning. He is been detained under section two of the drug trafficking act and can be held for up to seven days.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/...story57625.asp
    TheOmbudsman 22/12/2005

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by angelcountry
    Is'nt it time we agree that we are the one that introduce some nigerians into the business GIVEN THE FIGURE OF IRISH people arrested for DRUG dealing offence,BUT i do realise indeed that someone on this forum are out to run a HYPE on nigerians which is APPALLING for our (irish) people to start doing just at the eve of the an garda siochana recruitment.infact we should cover our heads in shames cos we are the GOD father that introduce them into the busness in our country,however we should try and locate the perpetrator among our people who introduced them into the business accordingly they should be jailed and deported with them end of story.
    OMBUDSMAN,HOW MANY OF OUR PEOPLE THAT ARE DRUG LORD THAT MADE A FORTUNE FROM DRUGS TRADE ARE IN PRISONS RIGHT NOW :

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast