Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cromwell in Ireland on RTE tonight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cromwell in Ireland on RTE tonight

Cromwell in Ireland

Well did anyone else watch it and what did they think?

Thought the guy who played Cromwell was quite good but the accent wasn't really authentic but other than that I think he caught the man's character well enough.

Couldn't help noticing though they kept on referring to Irish Rising of 1641 as the 'Rebellion'!

The combat scenes were quite good too esp the Flags and the way they dominated the battlefield.

While we didn't learn much that was new it might be of more interest to those who have never interested themselves in it before.

Also they portray Owen Ruadh O’Neill as dying of natural causes but forgot to mention the strong possibility that enemy agents poisoned him.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/cromwellinireland/index.html

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Cromwell in Ireland on RTE tonight

Yea I watched it and to be honest had forgotten a lot of it that I learned of in history back in school. The first thought that came to mind for me was the first generation Hitler............

Must remember to watch the second half next week.
    'This life is not a dress rehearsal, we only get one shot at today'

seem to give equal time to irish and british atrocities, i dunno maybe they share eoghan harris belief that 1 english man is worth 10 irish, seem to use the buzzwords like civilising etc like using the words war on terror today.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa
    Cromwell in Ireland

Thought the guy who played Cromwell was quite good but the accent wasn't really authentic but other than that I think he caught the man's character well enough.

Couldn't help noticing though they kept on referring to Irish Rising of 1641 as the 'Rebellion'!

The combat scenes were quite good too esp the Flags and the way they dominated the battlefield.

While we didn't learn much that was new it might be of more interest to those who have never interested themselves in it before.

Also they portray Owen Ruadh O’Neill as dying of natural causes but forgot to mention the strong possibility that enemy agents poisoned him.

I was a bit disappointed. There was far too much "We know Cromwell thought this..." etc without citing any source. It doesn't take much effort to add in "from his journal entry of dec 1st 1649". I hate having things presented to me already masticated like that!

The re-enactments were quite good, and I thought most of the talking heads were quite good. (Though in one case directly contradicted each other with no source cited to back up either position. Sloppy.)

Finally, being just down the road from Drogheda I was expecting to hear a lot more about the siege here. Instead we got about three sentences.

So my view overall- could have been greatly improved with just a little more attention to detail, but there was enough to get me watching the second episode next week

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was good but will have to wait till next week for the full story of the genocide to come to like in the programme. Not a great fan of Owen Roe's English accent though. Didn't know Cromwell came from Devon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation
    seem to give equal time to irish and british atrocities, i dunno maybe they share eoghan harris belief that 1 english man is worth 10 irish, seem to use the buzzwords like civilising etc like using the words war on terror today.
    Yeah that's another one that grated too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa
    Cromwell in Ireland

It was good overall, not a patch on the Catalpa Rescue, though.

Thankfully no one mentioned Tom Reilly's insane and perverse ramblings.

It presented an accurate and even-handed picture of what transpired and the monstrous nature of Cromwell's character was clearly portrayed.
    What shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did Clonmel get a mention?

Oh wait, this is RTÉ we're talking about.
    Je suis un loo-lah

A weak programme that did not give sources, any detail of the slaughter in Drogheda other than superficial mentions, and tried to cover too much in one programme. The Cromwellian war in Ireland would need more than two episodes, and something better than ropey accents from actors (since when did Cromwell speak with an Irish accent?) to tell the full story of a particularly bloody time in a bloody period in Irish and British history. At least though they did try to give some context.

That said, doing history programmes for television in a form that does not confuse those who don't know the background, but gives enough sources to explain that what is said is kosher, is always difficult. But at least RTÉ this season is doing a lot of history programmes. If I had my way history would be a mandatory subject in school. History in Ireland still impacts on politics, current affairs, etc. So it is rather important that people know history and also can distinguish between myth, propaganda and evidence.

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunaljunkie
    History in Ireland still impacts on politics, current affairs, etc. So it is rather important that people know history and also can distinguish between myth, propaganda and evidence.
    yes but its RTE we are talking about . Keeping the viewer informed isnt exactly one of the stations fortes so to speak . They have a hisory of sacking journalists who try and do that . Sadly a documentary on Jade Goody is likely to pay a lot more attention to detail .

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast