Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine Gael and the IRA Connection

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fine Gael and the IRA Connection

http://dailyireland.televisual.co.uk/home.tvt
    No doubt some smartass revisionist from Fine Gael or a newspaper of record will attempt to explain that there is no parallel between then and now, no comparisons whatsoever. Perhaps they will tell us that the IRA of the 1940s is distinct from the IRA of today and that’s why, for example, Belfast man Harry White, sentenced for the manslaughter of Mordaunt, was given early release by Fine Gael, while Strabane man Pearse McAuley, sentenced for the manslaughter of Gárda McCabe, must remain in jail.

Fine Gael TD General Sean MacEoin, who was also the party’s presidential nominee in 1945 and 1959, came to the Ministry of Justice with a past which Fine Gael honours. In the Tan War the IRA killed almost 500 members of the RIC. When MacEoin was the leader of an IRA Flying Column in Longford in 1920 he had been responsible for killing up to two dozen of his fellow Roman Catholic Irishmen in the RIC. A small sample includes: 23-year-old John Kelleher from Cork who had only been in the RIC four months; 45-year-old Constable Peter Cooney, a married man, shot in the back whilst returning from leave; and 30-year-old District Inspector Thomas McGrath, a single man from County Limerick, shot through the head by MacEoin when he knocked on MacEoin’s door.

Men like MacEoin shot and bombed British soldiers and RIC men, killed them where they could – on holiday, on leave, in bed with their wives, at their dinner tables, on patrol and in the barracks.

Fine Gael is proud of IRA men like MacEoin. After all, he brought them to power. He fought the British in his country – though mistakes were often made and innocent people were killed.

It has happened throughout Irish republican history.

And that is why Fine Gael and any other party opposed to the release of the Castlerea prisoners rightly stand accused of double standards and hypocrisy.

For political gain Fine Gael released those convicted of killing guards in the 1940s. And for perceived political gain today – taking a tough stance against Sinn Fein - it refuses to support the release of prisoners in the same category, prisoners committed to peace and the Belfast Agreement.

Excellent article written by Danny Morrison and featured today in the Daily Ireland!!! Bravo Danny!!!

Please go to the Daily Ireland and read the entire article before commenting. This is only a portion!
    "The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Fine Gael and the IRA Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird
    http://dailyireland.televisual.co.uk/home.tvt
    No doubt some smartass revisionist from Fine Gael or a newspaper of record will attempt to explain that there is no parallel between then and now, no comparisons whatsoever. Perhaps they will tell us that the IRA of the 1940s is distinct from the IRA of today and that’s why, for example, Belfast man Harry White, sentenced for the manslaughter of Mordaunt, was given early release by Fine Gael, while Strabane man Pearse McAuley, sentenced for the manslaughter of Gárda McCabe, must remain in jail.

Fine Gael TD General Sean MacEoin, who was also the party’s presidential nominee in 1945 and 1959, came to the Ministry of Justice with a past which Fine Gael honours. In the Tan War the IRA killed almost 500 members of the RIC. When MacEoin was the leader of an IRA Flying Column in Longford in 1920 he had been responsible for killing up to two dozen of his fellow Roman Catholic Irishmen in the RIC. A small sample includes: 23-year-old John Kelleher from Cork who had only been in the RIC four months; 45-year-old Constable Peter Cooney, a married man, shot in the back whilst returning from leave; and 30-year-old District Inspector Thomas McGrath, a single man from County Limerick, shot through the head by MacEoin when he knocked on MacEoin’s door.

Men like MacEoin shot and bombed British soldiers and RIC men, killed them where they could – on holiday, on leave, in bed with their wives, at their dinner tables, on patrol and in the barracks.

Fine Gael is proud of IRA men like MacEoin. After all, he brought them to power. He fought the British in his country – though mistakes were often made and innocent people were killed.

It has happened throughout Irish republican history.

And that is why Fine Gael and any other party opposed to the release of the Castlerea prisoners rightly stand accused of double standards and hypocrisy.

For political gain Fine Gael released those convicted of killing guards in the 1940s. And for perceived political gain today – taking a tough stance against Sinn Fein - it refuses to support the release of prisoners in the same category, prisoners committed to peace and the Belfast Agreement.

Excellent article written by Danny Morrison and featured today in the Daily Ireland!!! Bravo Danny!!!

Please go to the Daily Ireland and read the entire article before commenting. This is only a portion!
    God that double standarded hypocritical bastard! I sincerely hope he loses his seat at the next election! :x
    Ireland interests are best secured within a more dynamic EU. Vote YES to Lisbon.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by geraghd
    God that double standarded hypocritical b******! I sincerely hope he loses his seat at the next election! :x
    Come on Derrick, its a fair question. Can you or any FGer tell us the difference between Harry White and Pearse Mc Cauley without resorting to glibs responses?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    God that double standarded hypocritical b******! I sincerely hope he loses his seat at the next election! :x
    Come on Derrick, its a fair question. Can you or any FGer tell us the difference between Harry White and Pearse Mc Cauley without resorting to glibs responses?
    There was no question. And its a poor comparison. The Fine Gael of 1940 is far different from the one today. For one, most of the people (all?) are dead.
    Ireland interests are best secured within a more dynamic EU. Vote YES to Lisbon.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was no question. And its a poor comparison. The Fine Gael of 1940 is far different from the one today. For one, most of the people (all?) are dead.
    Ok then Derrick, if its time that should heal all wounds,

do you have a difficulty with serving in a coalition government with former members of the Official IRA ?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

do you have a difficulty with serving in a coalition government with former members of the Official IRA ?
    If that person was connected to terrorism and openly agreed with it even if it was some time ago, then yes I would. Do you have anyone that would fit this description in mind?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Deleted
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many of the actions of the PIRA were totally unproductive,irrational and served little purpose; ie Warrington. post Sunningdale the PIRA move to the 'offensive' was counterproductive in regards of unifying this island as it further distanced the 2 communities rather than bringing them together and reviving the Republican tradition in the Protestant community which is the most important aim in order to secure a united Ireland without loyalist violence and a Civil War.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If that person was connected to terrorism and openly agreed with it even if it was some time ago, then yes I would. Do you have anyone that would fit this description in mind?
    I presume rock is getting at the stickies in the Rainbow like Pronsias de Rossa who was I think interned at some stage for IRA membership.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=aodh_rua]
    Quote Originally Posted by "geraghd":3d24qlst

I presume rock is getting at the stickies in the Rainbow like Pronsias de Rossa who was I think interned at some stage for IRA membership.[/quote:3d24qlst]

That and Pat Rabbitte I believe..

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast