Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Google to launch new web browser

Default Google to launch new web browser

Something for the techies, and media people, this looks very interesting.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/...n-browser.html

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

<Mod> Other posts were made on this topic here. </Mod>

Default Re: Google to launch new web browser

Does this look to anyone like a new Operating System?

Quote Originally Posted by C&AG

good point.....I really think this puts it up to mickeysoft bigtime....

Quote Originally Posted by digoutday
    Quote Originally Posted by C&AG

good point.....I really think this puts it up to mickeysoft bigtime....
    I was thinking that too - recently I've been wondering why someone hasn't brought out yet an OS with very simple interface so your radio-loving granny and bebo daughter can both operate the net without having to think tabout it as a computer they're operating. The Asus eee little cheapo linux-based pc is an effort at this.

Open source boys could even take the likes of the linux kernel and put three interfaces on top with buttons - "Simple", "Intermediate", "Expert . The Simple would operate in a way so as to emulate all types of familar device interface - remote controls for televisions, mobile phones, radio interfaces, even door locks in order to communicate function to the likes of your granny. All would be fully integrated with the net and with wifi nearly everywhere, set up could be avoided totally - just plug in and switch on.

I'd say google aren't far from doing the likes of this with Chrome .. Microsoft nowhere in sight.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its just a browser. Interesting but just a bit of subtle branding. Quite a lot of people think that Google is the internet. Now they will have an icon on their desktop that says "Google" and not "Microsoft Internet Explorer".

I suppose it is one step closer to a Google operating system. but the value to Google will be that the default homepage is theirs and not MSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll stick to Firefox, thank you.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not a bad idea, but it can't be an actual OS if it's running stuff in sandboxes. It's a move towards the functionality of an OS perhaps but it still needs something else to run on.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by KingKane
    It's not a bad idea, but it can't be an actual OS if it's running stuff in sandboxes. It's a move towards the functionality of an OS perhaps but it still needs something else to run on.
    Yes. It's more of a little platform - the idea reminds me of java.

The best thing yet I've seen to challenge microsoft in a certain small corner of the market is that Asus eee pc which has 2GB of stick hard drive, wifi, a skinny linux variety running firefox, a text editor and a few other rudimentary programs. There is a file system if you need it but the main reason for it is a yoke which runs firefox and comes in pink or white and is possibly the right size for a 15 year-old's handbag.

It's about €250.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chrome is very good, I'm posting this from a Chrome browser.

It has a few nice touches and from reading their description of how it is built it should be way more stable. I would suggest that anyone who uses Microsoft Internet Explorer should give it a go. Firefox or Safari users have most of the improvements already.

Quote Originally Posted by Evestown
    Chrome is very good, I'm posting this from a Chrome browser.

It has a few nice touches and from reading their description of how it is built it should be way more stable. I would suggest that anyone who uses Microsoft Internet Explorer should give it a go. Firefox or Safari users have most of the improvements already.

i'll second that, its good. I reckon the plan will be to use this with the andriod platform for mobile phones.....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast