Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65

Thread: Why has Neary never been charged?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between Akureyri and Ushuaia
    Posts
    8,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Why has Neary never been charged?

    Having watched last night's drama (as I understand it, closely based on the report), I fail to understand why that appaling butcher of human flesh, "Doctor" Neary is still at liberty, and still lives in the vicinity of his victims, enjoying his 80k per annum pension while they get minimal compensation (and nothing for those over 40). I realise (and it's very obvious from last night's program) that he was not alone, it was a systematic failure within the Health Service which should never recur, but for the man never to have to answer in front of a court of his peers for his crimes is appaling.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Vega1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,454
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Why has Neary never been charged?

    A related question - why have the victims not sued the miserable auld fecker?
    His Medical insurance would have paid up?

    A (less closely) related question - was in car today with better half, she asked why husbands of the victims hadn't driven out to Neary's gaff and given him a chance to explain his (Neary's) side of the whole business, maybe had a cup of tea, talked about football.... You get the idea.

    i know that I'd have been keen to get my views on Premier League across forcefully - and I don't follow football.
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    23,231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Why has Neary never been charged?

    because this is ireland and we dont convict the professions when they break the law.
    “The measure of a civilization is how it treats its weakest members.” Vote NO on May 25th. 2016 : Anybody but FF/FG/LAB !

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Vega1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,454
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Why has Neary never been charged?

    Quote Originally Posted by constitutionus
    because this is ireland and we dont convict the professions when they break the law.
    And the answer to my second question?
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Why has Neary never been charged?

    Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking
    Having watched last night's drama (as I understand it, closely based on the report), I fail to understand why that appaling butcher of human flesh, "Doctor" Neary is still at liberty, and still lives in the vicinity of his victims, enjoying his 80k per annum pension while they get minimal compensation (and nothing for those over 40). I realise (and it's very obvious from last night's program) that he was not alone, it was a systematic failure within the Health Service which should never recur, but for the man never to have to answer in front of a court of his peers for his crimes is appaling.
    That is a very good question.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Why has Neary never been charged?

    Because as I understand it a Judge will favour the expert opinion of an expert and he acted in his expert opinion in the best interest of his patients. Loighic as Gaeilge if you will.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Vega1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,454
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Why has Neary never been charged?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rahood
    Because as I understand it a Judge will favour the expert opinion of an expert and he acted in his expert opinion in the best interest of his patients. Loighic as Gaeilge if you will.
    Rhubarb.

    Neary is obviously (based on Tribunal alone) incompetent. Some decent medical witnesses from Britain (very few Irish medics would have testified against him) would have torn his defence to pieces.

    Medical compo cases are fought and won (or settled out of court) all the time.

    What made Neary's case different?
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Why has Neary never been charged?

    What made Neary's case different?
    Loighic as Gaeilge not the best translation I know but Irish Logic made/makes this case different

    He was a bumbling old fool but had the interests of the women at heart.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Vega1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,454
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Why has Neary never been charged?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rahood
    What made Neary's case different?
    Loighic as Gaeilge not the best translation I know but Irish Logic made/makes this case different

    He was a bumbling old fool but had the interests of the women at heart.
    Sez who?
    Sez him maybe?
    Hardly enough to convince me never mind a jury.
    Wasn't enough to convince Judge Maureen Harding Clark either...

    What makes you so sure?
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Why has Neary never been charged?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vega1447
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahood
    What made Neary's case different?
    Loighic as Gaeilge not the best translation I know but Irish Logic made/makes this case different

    He was a bumbling old fool but had the interests of the women at heart.
    Sez who?
    Sez him maybe?
    Hardly enough to convince me never mind a jury.
    Wasn't enough to convince Judge Maureen Harding Clark either...

    What makes you so sure?
    Just so as we both know. IANAL

    But it is unless somebody tells me different that between the legal talk she stated that he was a bumbling old fool that had failed to update his methods over the last twenty years and was stuck in his ways.

    If you are making a case for those that followed on from making claims against the Lourdes Hospital Redress scheme seeking redress against the state I am at a loss.

    Full Disclosure my Aunt was involved in the 1st case.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •