Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Opposition demand answers in Garda 'drugs collusion' case

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Opposition demand answers in Garda 'drugs collusion' case

Opposition politicians are to table questions to get answers as to why charges were dropped against drug-dealer Kieran Boylan. Boylan, when interviewed by Gardai, claimed that he was involved in an 'extra-judicial' operations for the Gardai involving the entrapment of individuals with drugs supplied to them by Boylan. Boylan apparently told Gardai that if the case against him got to court he would expose these activities on behalf of the Gardai. The Garda Ombudsman has refused to set up an inquiry, and politicians are calling on Dermot Ahern to set up a public inquiry to investigate.

Joe Costello, a Labour party TD, described the decision as “incredible” but said another type of official inquiry could be arranged.

“I believe Dermot Ahern \ can use his powers to organise an inquiry. The public have a right to know what happened because the issues involved are so serious,” Costello said.

The government has previously asked senior civil servants to investigate allegations of garda malpractice in special circumstances. The Oireachtas justice committee could also be asked to inquire into the affair, which some gardai say is similar to the Donegal corruption scandal that led to the Morris tribunal.

Charlie Flanagan, Fine Gael spokesman on justice, said he was disappointed by the garda ombudsman’s response but said answers could be obtained in the Dail. “I will be asking the minister to make a full statement,” he said. “This is a serious matter that goes right to the heart of our justice system.”
    Separately, a couple in Louth made a complaint to the Garda Ombudsman that their lives were threatened after they reported a drugs find set up by Boylan to the Gardai. The Ombudsman is investigating this, but apparently lack of evidence will mean that the inquiry is 'inconclusive'.

While it must be said that there is no proof of any Garda malpractice or cover-up, and that it might be explainable, some Gardai seem to think it stinks.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 641780.ece

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Opposition demand answers in Garda 'drugs collusion' case

The less noble side of the' war on drugs' . Foxes running with the hounds and all that . Its totally unacceptable policing .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stewiegriffin
    The less noble side of the' war on drugs' . Foxes running with the hounds and all that . Its totally unacceptable policing .
    If it's true. And if it is, I suspect that perceptions of a cover-up will cause far more damage to the authority of the Gardai than the initial actions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Gardai in question serve in Louth. I wonder what the arrest figures for petty drugs-related cases are there. If this has some substance as a story, I also wonder how many convictions there can be considered safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its a border county too , its not like the cops there dont have form .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pikey
    Its a border county too , its not like the cops there dont have form .
    According to the article, other Gardai have explicitly compared the situation in this case with the corruption of the Gardai in Donegal.

Im surprised how this story took seven days to appear on P.ie . I guess noone cares about reality . How close are drug dealers to the gardai ?
    Pardon me Roy , is that the Chatanooga choo choo ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Proper
    Im surprised how this story took seven days to appear on P.ie . I guess noone cares about reality . How close are drug dealers and the gardai ?
    It's in this morning's edition of the ST. According to the dealer himself, he was acting on orders from certain Gardai to entrap people in petty drug offences. According to the couple who reported his drug deposit, their lives were threatened, which begs the question by whom, and how did they know of the report to Gardai?

It was in it last week too afaik.
    Pardon me Roy , is that the Chatanooga choo choo ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Proper
    It was in it last week too afaik.
    I didn't see it, if it was then you're right, it's a potentially huge story, and one that merits a lot of attention.

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast