Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M50 Barrier Free Tolling

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default M50 Barrier Free Tolling

Anyone know how this is going to work ?

When I heard they were getting rid of those hated toll booths I thought it was going to be free - I forgot for one minute that this is the ultimate rip off republic ! How do you pay if there's no barriers ? Will it be like the congestion zone in London where you've got to pay online or by 'phone using your credit card ? ? How will they get all the knackers to pay ? ? ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: M50 Barrier Free Tolling

jaysus - google it or read a paper. No one EVER said it would be free but it's ludicrously complex:
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Centurian
    Will it be like the congestion zone in London where you've got to pay online or by 'phone using your credit card ?
    Yes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why dont they just fill the road with advertising, the amount of traffic flowing through because it was made free would mean that the road could still make money .
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Centurian
    Anyone know how this is going to work ?

When I heard they were getting rid of those hated toll booths I thought it was going to be free - I forgot for one minute that this is the ultimate rip off republic ! How do you pay if there's no barriers ? Will it be like the congestion zone in London where you've got to pay online or by 'phone using your credit card ? ? How will they get all the knackers to pay ? ? ?
    Well, what a lot of people don't realise is that barrier free tolling is congestion charging, but they haven't told people that though. If there was no tolling on the M50 how much extra traffic would use the M50 every day I wonder? If there are no barriers it should mean that the traffic will move a lot more smoothly in future though. I can see in the future that road pricing will become an important part of government revenue. Trials have already started in the Uk the other day,(Manchester I think) charging people by how many miles they drive in their car. The same will probably happen here eventually. The barrier free tolling is a test run for this.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by st333ve
    Why dont they just fill the road with advertising, the amount of traffic flowing through because it was made free would mean that the road could still make money .
    Doubtful. I don't know about you but I tend to look where I am going whilst driving, not at all the pretty adverts.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NRA expecting ‘teething’ problems on barrier-free M50:

The National Roads Authority has admitted that it expects "teething" problems with the new barrier free tolling system on the M50.

The new system is due to come into effect in 10 days' time, but it will take another eight or nine weeks before the existing West Link toll plaza is dismantled and a new layout is in place.

During that period, speed and lane restrictions will be in operation.

The NRA says the new system is very complex and will there will inevitably be difficulties while people get used to it.

The authority is asking motorists to be patient and tolerant while everyone gets familiar with the changes.

Oh joy
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu

The NRA says the new system is very complex and will there will inevitably be difficulties while people get used to it.

The authority is asking motorists to be patient and tolerant while everyone gets familiar with the changes.

Oh joy
    Will they be as tolerant if I don't pay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are going to spend Eur 50mill a year to run a system that collects Eur 80mill in revenue. Fan-bloody-tastic.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu
    Quote Originally Posted by st333ve
    Doubtful. I don't know about you but I tend to look where I am going whilst driving, not at all the pretty adverts.
    Someone should have told FF that when they decided to stick 'sculptures' on the side of the road, like a coloured spikey things and hideous paintings.
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast