Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Catholic Bishops and Education in Ireland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Catholic Bishops and Education in Ireland

Bishop Leo O'Reilly has waved his crosier in the governments direction in response to new Government Plans for National Schools

The Great Hurler on the ditch "Bock the Robber" calls a spade a spade even though he was not asked to

http://bocktherobber.com/2008/08/cathol ... ion-system
    Fianna Fail will allow the Irish People, to me milked like Milch Cows, by the CIF through high house prices, rents, and land prices, at the expense of competitiveness,and quality of life. FF+CIF=1

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: The Catholic Bishops and Education in Ireland

Breaking the cycle of superstition in our schools should become a government priority

Thomas Jefferson: (1743-1826), third U.S. president.
    "I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies."

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man. ... perverted into an engine for enslaving mankind ... a mere contrivance [for the clergy] to filch wealth and power to themselves."

"In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to liberty, he is always in allegiance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own. ... History I believe furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. ... Political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves [of public ignorance] for their own purpose."
    Fianna Fail will allow the Irish People, to me milked like Milch Cows, by the CIF through high house prices, rents, and land prices, at the expense of competitiveness,and quality of life. FF+CIF=1

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well done. You started a thread(yet another one) on the Church's role in education and immediately turned it into another religion bashing rant.
    A CHILD OF FIVE WOULD UNDERSTAND THIS. SEND SOMEONE TO FETCH A CHILD OF FIVE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKaiHamPT54

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You think it is a good idea to deliver impressionable children, vulnerable children in their formative years, for indoctrination, prior to them attaining the age of reason, all at the expense of the Taxpayer and the children themselves?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mairteenpak
    You think it is a good idea to deliver impressionable children, vulnerable children in their formative years, for indoctrination, prior to them attaining the age of reason, all at the expense of the Taxpayer and the children themselves?
    Catholic parents (many of whom are taxpayers) will probably be able to decide what "superstition" they want taught to their children.

they have to scrap this patron system and the gov take proper responsibility for education
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation
    they have to scrap this patron system and the gov take proper responsibility for education
    If it ain't broken...
    Liquidate labour, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers, liquidate real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Defeated Romanticist
    If it ain't broken...
    but it clearly is broken
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is nothing wrong with having religion in schools. It pisses me off, when the majority of comments made against priests, bishops, or religion as been something bad, especially, when the majority of these people making these comments never had any personal negative experiences. Yes, we had major problems in the past, but having faith in a God, and traditional values i believe is a better way forward for society in general. Yes get rid of old doctrines and attitudes and teaching fear to children through religion. But if anyone has an iota of understanding of the bible, the message of the Gospels is of nothing but love, understanding, forgiveness, compassion, acceptance, and hope.
    I believe, we are making a balls of this country through knee jerk reactions from problems of the past. I believe the breadown of family, respect for law and order is all connected to us trying to break away from our traditional values. I accept change was needed, but not complete disregard for anything old or traditional.

Quote Originally Posted by Defeated Romanticist
    If it ain't broken...
    but it clearly is broken
    I'm all for seperation of church and state, but you're not being practical. The simple fact is that over 90% of our schools are privately-owned (i.e. by the church) yet publicly funded. That's the way it is right now.

So how do you alter that situation for the better? Unless you're advocating buying all these schools at massive cost, or else making some kind of law that shuts out the church from a say in the running of their own schools, you have to reach a practical compromise with them. Which is what we have right now.

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast