Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend a book

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Recommend a book

Yours truly (finally!) will be taking a holiday this year, but rather than clubbing in some sunny tropic, I'll be spending it down the country, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I've amassed a pile of books I intend to get through over the time I'm away, some I've had for weeks, some months, and one or two have sat on my shelf never read, longing for me to have the time.

----

So, I want to ask you good P.ie People to recommend a book, one or two things to point out.

1) I don't do fiction, and if I do it's *very* rare, so if you're going to suggest a fictional text, be warned

2) I tend to read as much as I can in the area of media and politics, so anything in this area is a plus

But namely I genuinely interested in members of P.ie to talk about their favourite book and why.

The most convincing suggestions before Thursday will most likely result in their purchase in a bookshop before the weekend!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Recommend a book

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Reccommend a book

About time you took a holiday.

How are you with History?

Biographies?

Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia

My favourite historical book.

It goes into extraordinary detail of the influence the Mafia had on the politics and media (See... I didn't forget) of Sicily, Italy, and the U.S.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert

It goes into extraordinary detail of the influence the Mafia had on the politics and media (See... I didn't forget) of Sicily, Italy, and the U.S.
    Crikey - I'm going on holiday, I'm not getting detention!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I recommend "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" by John Perkins. I found it has enlightened my perspective on global affairs. It was an interesting read as the author was someone who directly influenced multiple countries economic and political status.

A real eye opener on a global scale!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, you'll need to get it on an inter-library loan (or equivalent) as it our of print, but you could try adding Jean Monnet's Memoirs to your book list.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I disapprove of books. Books are used by the middle-class to oppress us working class people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert

Crikey - I'm going on holiday, I'm not getting detention!
    Fine, get a Mills & Boon.

Or, and this sounds fruity....

Wait until you get to wherever it is your going, then you can swap with other guests. The last holiday I went on had a guest swap box. Was good.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It has to be The Holy Bible.........oh! and that other book...............Your Passport!

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R Paul
    Well, you'll need to get it on an inter-library loan (or equivalent) as it our of print, but you could try adding Jean Monnet's Memoirs to your book list.
    7 Copies available on Amazon, but won't reach me by the weekend I figure.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast