Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Decay levels low due to fluoride'

NM_123

Default 'Decay levels low due to fluoride'

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...628546632.html

'Decay levels low due to fluoride'

MICHELLE McDONAGH

"WITHOUT WATER fluoridation, Ireland would have levels of dental decay as high as those of eastern Europe, according to a Cork researcher, who is regarded as one of the world experts in the field of oral health.

Prof Helen Whelton, director of the Oral Health Services Research Centre, UCC, has said that while tooth decay in Ireland is much lower than it would be without a national fluoridation programme, it could be lower if children brushed their teeth twice daily.

"Fluoridation is extremely important in this country in preventing dental decay as we have quite poor eating and dental care habits. If we did not have fluoridated water, we would be at eastern European levels of dental decay," she said.

Apologies if this was posted already, I can't see it so far, and the search function isn't working right now.
    Last edited by stringjack; 26th November 2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Please do not post copyright-protected material to the site. A short extract and a link is sufficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: 'Decay levels low due to fluoride'

But does fluoride do anything for your teeth once it passes them by? What I mean is, does ingesting it into our system help our teeth in anyway?

Personally, I like to rub the fluoride onto my teeth vigourously, gargle, rinse and then spit it out. Should I swallow? Is that too much of an innuendo?

Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

soubresauts is going to go nuts on this one
    Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The information that the media-including the “newspaper of record” get paid not to give us...

WHO Ignores Science, Questions - Recommends Toxic Fluoride

[quote:hzm2hpr5]And certainly fluoride is not something to swallow voluntarily, it has been linked with aggression, lower IQ scores, cancer, obesity, irritable bowel syndrome and it seems to interfere with thyroid hormones.
    Fluoride is systemically toxic and seems to be an ingredient of many of the chemical industry's products, from pesticides to medicines.
    Joe Thornton has looked at the composition of the WHO fluoride panel and it appears that the recommendations are authored by a clique of well known fluoride promoters, rather than a wide selection of experts in health and biochemistry, as one would have expected.

Paul Connett of the Fluoride Action Network introduces Thornton's research with the following words.

Today I received this tour de force from Joe Thornton, an Irish citizen who resides in Germany. He rips into the World Health Organization (WHO) for their fluoride section in their new report on Drinking Water Guidelines. He decries their (unsupportable) use of the word "nutrient" to describe fluoride and he exposes the fact that three of the four experts (Drs. Michael Lennon, Denis O'Mullane and Helen Whelton) who drew up the guidelines for fluoride have a hugely pro-fluoridation bias. This bias is exposed in excruciating detail...
    You will need a lot of stamina to get through this tightly documented "treatise" but this is a gold mine of information for those who have an interest in the abuse of the public trust by health and regulatory bodies throughout the world. If you cannot get through it all in one reading, file it away in a safe place ready for the next official who tells you that fluoridation must be OK because it is supported by the World Health Organization

WHO's BIG MISTAKE #1:

The WHO guidelines name fluoride as a "nutrient mineral" and "essential" for human health. But fluoride is not a nutrient of any sort. Not only is it not essential, it should be avoided at all costs. The WHO's error (or deception) reinforces the widespread belief in the concept of "fluoride-deficient water", a belief that seems to have infected all the WHO people involved.

it gets better as it goes on....

Many of the statements in the WHO documents written by Ekstrand, Lennon, O'Mullane and Whelton are mind-boggling. For example:

They write about "the need to ensure an appropriate minimum intake of fluoride to prevent loss from bone".

And this: "In parts [of the UK], such as the South East of England, dental caries is mainly under control without water fluoridation; in other regions, such as the North West of England, the prevalence of dental caries is substantially higher and water fluoridation remains an important public health objective."
    [/quote:hzm2hpr5]

...and on..

Reverse Mandatory Water Fluoridation in Ireland
    The rocket bombs which fell daily on London were probably fired by the Government of Oceania itself...

NM_123

Quote Originally Posted by The OD
    But does fluoride do anything for your teeth once it passes them by? What I mean is, does ingesting it into our system help our teeth in anyway?
    In water, fluoride will replace a hydroxyl group in your tooth enamel, rendering it a more stable molecule, and thus less likely to be damaged by the acidic side effects of lurking bacteria nearby, leading to less tooth decay. It is a simple reaction that makes your teeth less chemically reactive, and so more resistant to all that lives in our mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by The OD
    Personally, I like to rub the fluoride onto my teeth vigourously, gargle, rinse and then spit it out. Should I swallow? Is that too much of an innuendo?
    I would not swallow toothpaste if possible (though it is harmless if you do, unless you actively eat packets of it!). The article above refers to fluoride in water rather than in toothpaste, though the ultimate benefits are the same.

NM_123

Quote Originally Posted by zuton
    The information that the media-including the “newspaper of record” get paid not to give us...
    There is no scientific evidence that contradicts the article above.

Crazy ramblings, misinformed opionins and loony websites need not apply.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NM_123
    Quote Originally Posted by zuton
    There is no scientific evidence that contradicts the article above.
    so you're saying that fluoride is a "nutrient"?

Quote Originally Posted by NM_123

Crazy ramblings, misinformed opionins and loony websites need not apply.
    ditto.
    The rocket bombs which fell daily on London were probably fired by the Government of Oceania itself...

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Before we all go cheering for fluoride:

http://www.tuberose.com/Fluoride.html
    The greatest way to live with honour in this world is to be what we pretend to be.
    Socrates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NM_123 View Post
    I would not swallow toothpaste if possible (though it is harmless if you do, unless you actively eat packets of it!).
    The Fluoridation Forum report, in an unusually lucid passage, commented on fluoride toxicity thus (page 112):
    A standard tube of toothpaste contains about 125 gram of toothpaste (generally containing 1500 ppm fluoride); swallowing as little as one-quarter of a tube may be life-threatening for a one-year-old child.
    The fluoride added to Irish water (hydrofluorosilicic acid) is even more toxic than toothpaste fluoride (source: the bible of fluoride toxicology -- "Fluorine intoxication" by Kaj Roholm, 1937).

Micheál Martin, who set up the Fluoridation Forum, is a friend of the aforementioned Prof Helen Whelton, who told the Irish Times (May 17th, 1999):
    There is no cause for concern at the levels of fluoride people are getting. There is no reason to remove fluoride from the water.
    I can give 100 good reasons for stopping fluoridation (here are 50). Either Whelton is appallingly ignorant, or she's lying. Which is it, NM_123?
    15 Jan 2001 -- Fine Gael pledged to end fluoridation because of "serious health concerns".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zuton View Post
    so you're saying that fluoride is a "nutrient"?
    I read through this posting and he didn't say that.

You can read what he said here:
    http://www.politics.ie/health-social...ml#post1151037

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast