Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to clean up news radio accents?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is it time to clean up news radio accents?

I'm having a Gaybo moment.

Having been assaulted for years by the imprecise modulation of AA Roadwatch accents on, well, AA Roadwatch and ads in general, I've noticed a slow encroachment of the same among newsreaders and correspondents - and, Gaybo forbid, increasingly on RTE!!

Many Irish have fantastic clear, warm media voices. Take a bow Pat Kenny (on radio), Maeve Binchy, Terry Wogan, Marion Finucane, Susan Jackson, Claire Byrne, Ryan Tubridy (on radio) (and even the chick from Cork who minds Sockie).

But now the airwaves are being taken over by particular breeds who I find it hard to believe are easily understood outside their own convent alma maters. Roll call of bad "nooz" and current offairs diction: Mariam O'Collaghan, Keelan Shanley, and lately Amma "Bazness news" MocNomora. Some of the guys aren't much better: Dimitri "RO'CK" O'Donnell and Matt "Nooz" Cooper.

Is it time someone in "Ort-ee-ee" introduced some kind of code on clarity of diction so punters outside Doblin 4 can get information out of news broadcasts once again? For those who can't get the potatoes out, there's always the possibility of a gig on Lorraine Keane's Xpose or "Span" 103.8 FM.

Default Re: Is it time to clean up news radio accents?

Oooh, Oooh, that guy Michael McMullan (I think that's his name??) that does the sports nooz...[groan]
    "Sorry, I must be getting mixed up with the voices in my ear"-Willie O'Dea 21/08/08

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by independentobserver
    Oooh, Oooh, that guy Michael McMullan (I think that's his name??) that does the sports nooz...[groan]
    Yeah him! He does have a very very distinct accent! IIII'mm Michael MAC MUUHLANN...

Or words to that effect.
    Ireland interests are best secured within a more dynamic EU. Vote YES to Lisbon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I agree with you. I don't mind regional accents as long as the presenters can be understood. Those newfangled accents though, they're awful. I could be wrong here but I'm guessing that these accents get up the noses of most listeners.

I remember when I was in school, the kids in the class who got notions about their own importance started talking with affected accents like these. I heard that Amma McNamara isn't from D4 at all but Carlow....

Quote Originally Posted by geraghd
    Quote Originally Posted by independentobserver
    Yeah him! He does have a very very distinct accent! IIII'mm Michael MAC MUUHLANN...

Or words to that effect.

Painful, painful stuff. They must have been fierce stuck, the day they hired him.
    "Sorry, I must be getting mixed up with the voices in my ear"-Willie O'Dea 21/08/08

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technika
    I heard that Amma McNamara isn't from D4 at all but Carlow....
    What the hell has D4 got to do with accents???? It's a well spoken Dublin accent spoken widely from Greystones to Drogheda these days. The only accent I hear regular in D4 is from the kids outside Tesco Express in Ringsend and it's not anything like what we're talking abou'
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright, so it isn't D4. It's an abomination of an accent though, no matter what label is put on it. It's harsh on the ears and mangles the English language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McDave
    Is it time someone in "Ort-ee-ee" introduced some kind of code on clarity of diction so punters outside Doblin 4 can get information out of news broadcasts once again? For those who can't get the potatoes out, there's always the possibility of a gig on Lorraine Keane's Xpose or "Span" 103.8 FM.
    My sister in law is from D4 and doesn't talk like that Amm McNamora who does the bizness nooz on RTE. That AA Roadwatch is awfull. They are a parody of temselves at this stage.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technika
    Alright, so it isn't D4. It's an abomination of an accent though, no matter what label is put on it. It's harsh on the ears and mangles the English language.
    I'm with Technika on this. It ranks for me alongside other deeply unattractive accents like Estuary English. There is something very self-regarding about the "D4" accent. As it only appeared recently enough, it also sounds, like, so toootally contrived. A bit teeny in a way. We're talking "Look at me. I've got my very own accent. I made it up this morning. I just mix up my As and Es up. Coooool".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trevor Welch on TV3 and Craig Doyle (BBC?) constantly mispronounce words in a self conscious effort to sound, i dont know, posh or something.
    God forbid one of them use the syllable 'ah'.
    Keep an eye out for Welch's pronounciation of Real Madrid.
    'Rayol Madrid' he says the clown.

'There's a hold up on the Red Cow Randabaut'. Those gimps in AA

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast