Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't Labour top 10%?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why can't Labour top 10%?

Labour seem to be permanently stuck at 10.X% in general elections. Why can't they make the breakthrough towards the 20% that might give them some real meaning?

I have some trivial but plausible theories of my own. You can always rely on a Labour spokesperson or NGO fellow-traveller to:

- Defend stuff like the traveller "race" issue;
    - Play the solidarity card for elements in our communities who won't pull their weight;
    - Pitch in for messers like the Rastas family (remember the "human rights crisis" at the M1 roundabout?).

These are issues many in middle Ireland have some kind of sympathy for in a Panglossian best-of-all-possible-worlds scenario. But faced with:

- so many minor vested interests who are not prepared to take much responsibilities for their lives; and
    - the slightly ugly everyday manifestations of slackers and gougers on the street/bus,

middle Ireland is basically not prepared buy in to the ideological world brotherhood viewpoint the comrades so piously espouse (Hell, we won't even take this stuff from bishops!).

How can Labour realistically attract the sympathetic middle ground that's out there for them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Why can't Labour top 10%?

Because the people who lead and have led the Labour Party don't believe in what they are saying.

They think that this that and the other is all bloody wonderful - for other people to experience - not themselves or their neighbourhoods and certainly not where the children go to school.

They are a smug middle class party who lack serious street cred and that's why they always fall short.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The mystery is how do they get any where near 10%?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you read through Labour Party Policies?

Have you listened to any senior Labour heads speechifying?

Have you read any of their (copious) Press Releases?

They are (come across as) a bunch of opportunist wannabees with no underlying differentiating philosophy - or at least none that is relevant in the 21st Century.

Labour "care" about poor people!

Sinn Fein care about poor people. The Greens care about poor people. Fianna Fail care about poor people.

Sinn Fein have the "left wing rhetoric" end of the market sown up - whatever you think of SF, you will surely admit that they are true to that cause, whereas Labour only offer lip service when push comes to shove. (Lisbon anyone?)

The Greens have the "pragmatic plan for the future" end of the market sown up - Labour give great lip service to a range of "green" issues, but when asked to show some leadership they squirm, waffle, and name call.

Fianna Fail are the ultimate chameleon - they are all things to all people. They piggy-backed on the Thatcherites when being a Thatcherite was all the rage, and they are piggy-backing on the Greens at the moment because they know what is coming down the line on Climate Change.

Labour also know what is coming down the line on Climate Change - and they have admitted that publicly. But they are on record as preferring to oppose any practical measures (because they are "the opposition") instead of showing political leadership.

I look forward to the day that Labour poll at 5%. Once that happens, the grown ups can start dealing with the real issues without worrying about the populist drivel that the Labour Party might throw at them.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry to come back on my own thread so quickly, but I've just realised that as of now on P.ie's Political Parties list, Labour is last in terms of Posts, and almost last in terms of Topics. The answer to my own thread in market forces?

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the failure to sever their umbilical cord with the unions is the problem. There is some irritation with the benchmarking atm with the unions and a party bankrolled by the unions is not seen as likely to end it.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lack of a consistent ideology I reckon.

A so-called Labour party proposing an 18% tax rate? Daft. FG made a far better attempt at selling quality of life than Labour did in the last GE.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    I think the failure to sever their umbilical cord with the unions is the problem. There is some irritation with the benchmarking atm with the unions and a party bankrolled by the unions is not seen as likely to end it.
    You think wrong, your type try to blame the unions for everything. It's only the unions that prevent the total exploitation of workers in this country.

If every union member voted labour they would have alot more voters than they do now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Collective Farm
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    You think wrong, your type try to blame the unions for everything. It's only the unions that prevent the total exploitation of workers in this country.

If every union member voted labour they would have alot more voters than they do now.
    How trade union members allow their contributions go to that shower of sellouts in the labour party astounds me.What has the labour party achieved for working people in this country.They do nothing for working people,they do not speak for working people,they do not empathise with working people.In my lifetime they have been one of the most right wing labour parties in this great wide world.Working people in ireland would be better of if this socalled labour party did not exist and in general the irish people know it

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A failure to connect with their 'true' constituents , ie working class areas in towns and cities where SF and apathy have them trumped . They compromise themselves too heavily in order to court the potential coalition partner of the day imo.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast