Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: War of Independence activity nationwide

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default War of Independence activity nationwide

Ive just finished re-reading 'the squad' by Ryle Dwyer, and one of the things that struck me was the paucity (from what I could ascertain) of rebel activity outside of certain areas.
    This was an impression I got from other books aswell.

It seems that bar Dublin, Cork, Tipp and Kerry (Cork and Dublin to the forefront) there wasn't an awful lot going on elsewhere (Except of Sean Mac Eoin's outfit).

Is that accurate? What sort of level of insurgence was throughout the country?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: War of Independence activity nationwide

The level of activity varied hugely, though even in the most active areas it was far less than all-out war.

The problem with Ryle Dwyer's work is a lack of footnotes, which makes this kind of analysis quite tricky.
    If you have access to a decent library try looking up Copies of the Cappucin Annual. Some of the issues from the early seventies gave incredibly detailed descriptions of local activity in the War of Independence, on an almost parish by parish basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I came across this article recently about the forces of law and order fought the terrorists. It does not give a complete list but it mentions activities in some areas around Galway too.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tans

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LowIQ
    I came across this article recently about the forces of law and order fought the terrorists. It does not give a complete list but it mentions activities in some areas around Galway too.
    I believe there was a western brigade concentrated in north galway/south mayo.Was Tom Mcguire the leader.I am happy if better informed people correct me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blinding
    I believe there was a western brigade concentrated in north galway/south mayo.Was Tom Mcguire the leader.I am happy if better informed people correct me
    Yes but his name was spelt Maguire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Maguire
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cferrie
    Quote Originally Posted by blinding
    Yes but his name was spelt Maguire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Maguire
    thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by walrusgumble
    tom barry's guerilla days will give you an indiciation of the level of activity in the rest of the country.

Bar Munster and Dublin, there was not too much large scale activity except in parts of galway, longford (mcEoin) and offaly. A small village in roscommon known as knockrahery (wrong spelling, between athlone and roscommon town) was burnt down in 1921 by the black n tans. in retaliation, a "House" / Manor in moydrum on the athlone side of town was burnt down by flying columns in the coosan area.
    In his biography of Eoin O'Duffy Fergal McGarry describes some small level operations that O'Duffy led in Monaghen as well and I’d say if you look hard enough you’d find some activity in most counties except maybe some in Lenister, which except for Dublin seems to have been very quiet.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was definite activity around North Meath and Kells. My grandfather was in the Flying Column and my Grandmother was a runner for the IRA
    For a Liberal Fianna Fáil perspective, take a look at www.donnachamaguire.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe the majority of conflict during the War of Ind. in derry was sectarian related. With hundreds of First World War veterans mobilizing to retake jobs Catholics had acquired during their abscence. This led to many shoot outs in the Bishop Street area with some IRA fatalaties there and an attempt to attack the Catholic Cathedral in the Bogside area, again with many deaths. But the conflict was by no means centred in the South-West or Dublin.
    There were acts taking place all over Ireland, Scotland and in England itself.
    I've read that one in twenty of RIC personnel were killed, and one in 12 injured during the short period, which would be higher than the U.S casualty rate in Iraq.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

theres a book published in the last few years. keep the flag flying, think it's called. refferences alot of activity in the west with empisises on the east mayo brigade and roscoman.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast