Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which of our politicians would decriminalise cannabis ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Which of our politicians would decriminalise cannabis ?

This is not intended to be a thread on whether or not cannabis ought to be decriminalised.

It is wondering which of our politicians might get this moving ?

Do we have any liberal minded TDs who would speak out ?

E.g.

CNN
    The U.S. should stop arresting responsible marijuana users, Rep. Barney Frank said Wednesday, announcing a proposal to end federal penalties for Americans carrying fewer than 100 grams, almost a quarter-pound, of the substance.

"The vast amount of human activity ought to be none of the government's business," Frank said during a Capitol Hill news conference. "I don't think it is the government's business to tell you how to spend your leisure time."

The Massachusetts Democrat and his supporters

likened Frank's proposal -- co-sponsored by Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas -- to current laws dealing with alcohol consumption. Alcohol use is permitted, and the government focuses its law enforcement efforts on those who abuse alcohol or drive under its influence, he said.

Reps. William Lacy Clay, D-Missouri, and Barbara Lee, D-California, said that in addition to targeting nonviolent offenders, U.S. marijuana laws also unfairly target African-Americans.
    It took FF to decriminalise homosexuality - what of our "socially liberal parties" - Greens, PDs, Labour ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Which of our politicians would decriminalise cannabis ?

Not one would have the liathroidi . Some of them like to pretend to be ' down with the kids ' in hot press interviews and such but in reality they dont want to be too controversial .In fact I have more respect for the straight up reactionary conservatives than the pretend 'social liberals' in the green/labour parties .

Yer man Sargent is infavour of legalising cannabis.
    "Are you telling me that a computer, a robot and my wife would create a "natuarlly balanced" society? The consequences are too monstrous to contemplate.."
    -farnaby.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TBH I think Bertie is on the gear all the time that grin of his is permanent, he completely ignores everybody around him, his speech is continuously slurred and never answers the questions he's asked only rambles on about what he wants to say.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Biffo he likes a smoke of the jamacian baccy.
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But would Biffo or Sargent get up on their hindlegs and introduce a Bill with free-vote ?

I find it weird that the US is ahead of us here ... are our politicians really less socially liberal ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stanley
    TBH I think Bertie is on the gear all the time that grin of his is permanent, he completely ignores everybody around him, his speech is continuously slurred and never answers the questions he's asked only rambles on about what he wants to say.
    Thats it !! That explains everything
    "The Goddess Fortune is the devil's servant, ready to kiss any one's ass."

Politics.ie Newbie
    London (aka Lisbon Treaty/PD demise émigré)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan
    But would Biffo or Sargent get up on their hindlegs and introduce a Bill with free-vote ?

I find it weird that the US is ahead of us here ... are our politicians really less socially liberal ?
    cYp
    America is a FAR more liberal political culture.
    "I thought that I had a duty to help those that weren't as lucky as me." -- John Hume

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Which of our politicians would decriminalise cannibals?

Let's see

Brian Cowen
    Mary Harney
    Willie O'Dea
    Enda Kenny
    who else?

When you have a shower that think an amendment on the availability (or non-availability) of abortion will fix the Lisbon vote, it is fair to say that there is no hope of any of our TDs actually proposing decrimilisation.

The closest we might hope for is an "irish" solution where the police turned a blind eye - a bit like the provisional licences.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast