Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: School Books - Teachers ripping parents off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default School Books - Teachers ripping parents off

My sister came to me a few days ago asking for a loan of 500 to buy school books for her four kids. She's not broke; she just didn't have it when she needed it (i'll get it back like, ). She has to fork out about a grand every year on everything required for going back to school, books being the highest cost.
    The thing is, her four kids all attend the same (public) secondary school and despite the fact that they all wear the same uniform and follow the same curriculum, they never seem to be able to use their elder siblings secondhand school books. Why? Because apparently it is the teacher's choice as to which set of books will be used for each subject each year. Teachers are not obliged to choose the same books as previous years or as other teachers of same subjects are choosing just because it might save parents an absolute fortune on the already limited back to school budget, oh no. Instead teachers are given free reign to decide on whatever books they want to use (provided they follow the curriculum) without any regard to the parents pocket, and I personally think that that's either a farce, or some kind of racket.

I can't think of any reason why this should be allowed, by schools or our government, can you?

If I can be enlightened, then please go ahead.
    90 to the dozen dazzle dentals!
    May I offer a medley of hits from the 60s, 70s, 80s & 90s?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: School Books - Teachers ripping parents off

In China the kids just make a photocopy of the book and it works fine. I suggest your sister does the same just dont tell Folens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's not a bad point - why can't schools photocopy pages required from books and hand them out to each student? I'm sure the parents would be happy to contribute a nominal fee for photocopying (+17.5% ESB charges)
    And a lever arch folder file is only about 3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by humperdink
    That's not a bad point - why can't schools photocopy pages required from books and hand them out to each student? I'm sure the parents would be happy to contribute a nominal fee for photocopying (+17.5% ESB charges)
    And a lever arch folder file is only about 3.
    Ahem.. there is a thing called intellectual copyright. What they could od is the school/VEC could buy the books and the parents could pay so much off each month by repayment. Also schools could talk to each other and swap books that are not needed.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know its insane! I one month I started uni, my sis started secondary school, and my bro started primary school. I can tell you with books, uniforms, rent etc it was one expensive month, one which we got no help with.

Many local bookshops however do offer good quaility second hand books for cheap. If they are old editions you can photocopy the new bits. We are also book share within family and friends so books are passed around when people are finished the year.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Our school had a system where we loaned the books off the school each year, but had to give them back at the end of the year. It worked well!! I've seen some teachers photocopy books, which is a good idea, as long as you don't get caught!

The problem with the books is that they are changed every turn about.. But if the school have a loan system it wouldn't matter!
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    - Sigmund Freud (speaking about the Irish)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aef1
    Many local bookshops however do offer good quaility second hand books for cheap. If they are old editions you can photocopy the new bits. We are also book share within family and friends so books are passed around when people are finished the year.
    Why should people have to go through all that hassle, why?

Why can't teachers be forced to follow a set rule? I don't understand, it's just not logical, and a complete nightmare for parents already stretched to the limit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is Folens a semi-state body?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think you can blame the teacher to be honest...

For the Junior Cert and the Leaving cert English there are certain books that you can do, these books alternate, so you can never do the same book two years in a row. And for the teacher's sanity, it's best that they are not doing the same books every year.

It is a problem for parents, but there are benefits, which can be claimed by those struggling to pay for uniforms etc..
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    - Sigmund Freud (speaking about the Irish)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why should having to pay about a grand a year on back to school supplies only be an issue for the hard up?

I do blame teachers, it is afterall, their fault...

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast