Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tractors to spell out 'No Pylons' to EirGrid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Tractors to spell out 'No Pylons' to EirGrid

400 veteran and vintage tractors from across the North East are to spell out a ‘No Pylons’ warning to EirGrid in a 50 acre field in Kilmainhamwood in north county Meath. The letters will be at least 70 feet long and 40 feet wide.

The North East Pylon Pressure campaign (NEPP ) is organising the tractor rally on Bank Holiday Monday, 4th August, to underline rural opposition to EirGrid's proposal to build giant pylons and power lines across counties Monaghan, Cavan and Meath, and a substation in county Cavan.

Cavalcades of tractors will start at nine o’clock in the morning in the three counties, and led by veteran and vintage machines, they will converge on Dennis Farrelly's farm in Kilmainhamwood, County Meath, where they are due to arrive around one o’clock.

In addition to the veteran and vintage machines, the organisers confidently expect a further 500 to 600 tractors to take part. Spokesperson Aimée Treacy, of NEPP, said: ‘Not just farmers but everyone in rural villages and parishes are deeply concerned about EirGrid’s proposals. This is a chance for everyone to demonstrate their opposition’.
    In county Meath, there will be three separate columns of tractors, starting at Summerhill, Batterstown and Bohermeen. Cavan tractors, starting from Mullagh, will join the Meath contingent at Moynalty, while tractors from the Muff area will join a Monaghan cavalcade at Kingscourt.

At the rally in Kilmainhamwood, there will be a forty long container truck adapted as a stage and there will be music, entertainment, bouncing castles and snacks to keep the crowds contented while the tractors are assembling. Two large fields have been earmarked as car parks and there will be plenty of stewards and Gardai directing traffic.

The Irish Farmers’ Association and the Irish Creamery Milk Suppliers’ Association both support the farmers’ opposition to pylons and overhead lines.

NEPP represents 45,000 people in the North East who favour undergrounding as the better way to construct ultra high power electricity lines.

At the announcement of a protest against the erection of ESB pylons by the North East Pylon Pressure campaign were, from left (on the vintage Nuffield tractor ) are Caoimhe Gibney (Carnaross, county Meath ) , Sinéad Farrelly (Kilmainhamwood, county Meath ) and Olivia Canavan (Muff, Kingscourt, county Cavan ) . Credit – Barry Cronin.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Tractors to spell out 'No Pylons' to EirGrid

Absolutely typical thick stupid Irish NIMBYism on display in the form of vintage tractors -- a fitting symbol for those of a more backward mindset. What, exactly, are they objecting to?

We need wind energy, and we need it now. I'm from Tipperary, near the Galtees, and I'm just waiting for the day someone puts a windfarm on them. Ditto the Knockmealdowns and the Comeraghs.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, wait, I see a placard that reads: "Property devalued 35%".

So much for patriotism, and for trying to see the big picture.

*sigh*

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thomas the Tank Engine I could believe but Irish Tractors learning to spell. What will EU funds be used for next!
    Perhaps next they could go CAP in hand to Mandelson and get him to support our farmers in the WTO talks.
    Ollsgoil Dúthoilreachta - Dámhsgoil Ealadhantha Dúthgaoiseachta
    http://sites.google.com/site/ollsgoildamhsgoil/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's funny that an organisation claiming to represent 45,000 people had 10 people and 3 tractors at the rally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John_C
    It's funny that an organisation claiming to represent 45,000 people had 10 people and 3 tractors at the rally.
    You're so prejudiced you can't even read properly. The rally takes place next Monday ya eejit! I'll send you a pic of the 1,000 vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by easygoing
    We need wind energy, and we need it now. I'm from Tipperary, near the Galtees, and I'm just waiting for the day someone puts a windfarm on them. Ditto the Knockmealdowns and the Comeraghs.
    With all the hot air you're spouting they'll have no trouble keeping a few wind turbines going alright. Plus all the wind you blow from the other end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by easygoing
    Oh, wait, I see a placard that reads: "Property devalued 35%".

So much for patriotism, and for trying to see the big picture.

*sigh*
    Since when did patriotism require that we shoot ourselves in both feet?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thankfully the days when Nimbys halted the progress of the country are almost over.

Considering the amount of welfare payments (i.e farm subsidies ), tax breaks, grants etc. farmers have received over the years and continue to receive, they should be required to allow the pylons which are in the public interest to be located on their lands free of charge.Also rambling rights for the public should also form part of the contract.Give a little back,selfish farmers, dont be always trying to gouge the last penny you can get from the public purse.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast