Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Put the poor into communes ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Put the poor into communes ?

I was reading an excerpt from Barbara Ehrenreich's forthcoming book "This Land is Their Land: Reports From a Divided Nation " which oddly enough is in the WSJ
    Could You Afford to Be Poor?

A 2006 study from the Brookings Institution documents the "ghetto tax," or higher cost of living in low-income urban neighborhoods. It comes at you from every direction, from food prices to auto insurance. A few examples from this study, by Matt Fellowes, that covered twelve American cities:

They are more likely to buy their furniture and appliances through pricey rent-to-own businesses. In Wisconsin, the study reports, a $200 rent-to-own TV set can cost $700 with the interest included.

Where would she get the first month's rent and security deposit it takes to pin down an apartment? The lack of that amount of capital—probably well over $1,000—condemned her to paying $40 a night at the Day's Inn.

This makes me thing ... at bottom level of society (on minimum wage, dole) surviving is hard. I'm not so sure the same social system ought to apply. Should the State organise communes for these poor ? So I'm thinking maybe 150 people in each community and a full time social worker as the commissar. The community could be in a tower block or out of town area. The commissar would have extraordinary rights over the people (e.g. would be allowed to make curfew orders, put lazy people into detention). A lot of these indigent people lack basic life skills and they could do with some help . The commissar could could organise things such as communal cooking, sharing of property etc. I'm thinking the efficiencies gained would be

- higher quality of life for the poor
    - lower cost to administer them(lower total dole, gardai)
    - greater security for society through reduced crime

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Put the poor into communes ?

Sounds abit like you would only be creating a new ghetto for the poor and then trying to claim it would be in their interests to move into this ghetto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Crook
    Sounds a bit like you would only be creating a new ghetto for the poor and then trying to claim it would be in their interests to move into this ghetto.
    They could volunteer, the State would just need legislation and funding for an initial experiment. Methinks it is a win-win ?

Like if we are going to make dole payments let's try to see that all get the best value from it ?

cYp

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any changes in a community must come from with a community. Any sign of a outside authority trying to impose such things will not work as people will have no respect for that authority. The way forward is through education and healthcare. Also providing incentives for people who are from the communities to return once they have been educated/trained in order to continue the cycle. Employment can be created by setting up local help groups like a job seeker/start up buisness/financial advice centres. But these changes must heavily involve the target community.

The suggestion you made while interesting in an acedemic sense would not work as people would be hostile to such practices being imposed on them and would usurp them.

And there are plenty of lazy rich people who do not pay their taxes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It'd be unconstitutional to compel people into these, and who would go voluntarily?
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    It'd be unconstitutional to compel people into these, and who would go voluntarily?
    Create a nice prospectus video for them. Hot meals, reduced anti-social behaviour, communal cooking, a cinema ...

Sure don't people volunteer for Big Brother all the time ?

Now afterwards if it was found to be a success we could examine the constitution and consider going beyond volunteers.

cYp

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan
    I was reading an excerpt from Barbara Ehrenreich's forthcoming book "This Land is Their Land: Reports From a Divided Nation " which oddly enough is in the WSJ
    Could You Afford to Be Poor?

A 2006 study from the Brookings Institution documents the "ghetto tax," or higher cost of living in low-income urban neighborhoods. It comes at you from every direction, from food prices to auto insurance. A few examples from this study, by Matt Fellowes, that covered twelve American cities:

They are more likely to buy their furniture and appliances through pricey rent-to-own businesses. In Wisconsin, the study reports, a $200 rent-to-own TV set can cost $700 with the interest included.

Where would she get the first month's rent and security deposit it takes to pin down an apartment? The lack of that amount of capital—probably well over $1,000—condemned her to paying $40 a night at the Day's Inn.

This makes me thing ... at bottom level of society (on minimum wage, dole) surviving is hard. I'm not so sure the same social system ought to apply. Should the State organise communes for these poor ? So I'm thinking maybe 150 people in each community and a full time social worker as the commissar. The community could be in a tower block or out of town area. The commissar would have extraordinary rights over the people (e.g. would be allowed to make curfew orders, put lazy people into detention). A lot of these indigent people lack basic life skills and they could do with some help . The commissar could could organise things such as communal cooking, sharing of property etc. I'm thinking the efficiencies gained would be

- higher quality of life for the poor
    - lower cost to administer them(lower total dole, gardai)
    - greater security for society through reduced crime

cYp
    Put the poor into communes ?

They already have they're called council estates.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It may be better for the powers that be to let the sleeping dog lie.If the poor were roused maybe they would be hard to get back into the box.The poor could if organised relieve the wealthy from their burden.We are told that goverments are allowed to rule only with the will of the people.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Create a nice prospectus video for them. Hot meals, reduced anti-social behaviour, communal cooking, a cinema ...

Now afterwards if it was found to be a success we could examine the constitution and consider going beyond volunteers.

cYp
    Your bizarre commissar plan is blatantly unconstitutional, so no.
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cYp
    Your bizarre commissar plan is blatantly unconstitutional, so no.
    No it is not.

People can sign up to whatever they want so long as it doesn't involve direct harm. Many people sign up to say the Catholic Church , which places enormous restrictions on your life. These people are free to sign up and free to leave.

cYp

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast