Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart to enter ireland ?

Default Walmart to enter ireland ?

WAL-MART entry into Ireland - new rumours
    The perpetual speculation over Wal-Mart's entry into the Irish market has returned, with the Irish paper the Sunday Business Post reporting that the Irish supermarket sector is "set for a shake-up" with Asda considering entry to the sector.
    ===

Only route would be to buy someone....Superquinn or Dunnes seem the logical ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Walmart to enter ireland ?

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    The perpetual speculation over Wal-Mart's entry into the Irish market has returned, with the Irish paper the Sunday Business Post reporting that the Irish supermarket sector is "set for a shake-up" with Asda considering entry to the sector.
    ===

Only route would be to buy someone....Superquinn or Dunnes seem the logical ones.
    Wal Mart isn't all it is cracked up to be. They entered Germany but had to pull out under pressure from Aldi and Lidl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Both are far more upmarket than Walmart.

Walmart/Asda aim at the Lidl/Aldi market but with lower quality.

I'd like to see Carrefour set up in Ireland.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard
    ===

Wal Mart isn't all it is cracked up to be. They entered Germany but had to pull out under pressure from Aldi and Lidl.

I find that hard to believe The stores are not at all similar. Aldi/Lidl offers a small range of goods in ugly stores. An unpleasant shopping experience, one that I have long avoided.
    Walmart offers a vast range of choice, from bicycles to perfumes. Plus their stores are pleasant places.

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan
    Both are far more upmarket than Walmart.

Walmart/Asda aim at the Lidl/Aldi market but with lower quality.

I'd like to see Carrefour set up in Ireland.
    Think you will find Asda in the 2 years pre Walmart were pretty damm good and still are.

Quote Originally Posted by arnold lane
    ===

I find that hard to believe The stores are not at all similar. Aldi/Lidl offers a small range of goods in ugly stores. An unpleasant shopping experience, one that I have long avoided.
    Walmart offers a vast range of choice, from bicycles to perfumes. Plus their stores are pleasant places.
    But you are assumming that retailers operate a one size fits all in every market which is not the case as they operated a different model in germany and it was unsuccessful.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

===

But you are assumming that retailers operate a one size fits all in every market which is not the case as they operated a different model in germany and it was unsuccessful.
    OK, I'll stand corrected. It's hard to see why Wal-MArt would change their successful model, but I accept that it could happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=arnold lane]
    Quote Originally Posted by "arnold lane":9gg4zcdz
    ===

OK, I'll stand corrected. It's hard to see why Wal-MArt would change their successful model, but I accept that it could happen.[/quote:9gg4zcdz]

Well, Walmart would have to offer a different product range - Neither Irish people or Germans would eat the kind of sugary offal on offer in US stores.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Knock off the gratuitous insults to another nation. What is it about you YES fanatics--what's that strain of anti-Americanism all about?

As to American food not going down well in Ireland, suffice it to mention McDonalds to show how asinine your claim is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Knock off the gratuitous insults to another nation. What is it about you YES fanatics--what's that strain of anti-Americanism all about?

As to American food not going down well in Ireland, suffice it to mention McDonalds to show how asinine your claim is.
    Ever eaten a "peep"?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast