Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irish citizens applying for UK passports

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish citizens applying for UK passports

I have noticed an increase in Northern people from a unionist background applying for Irish passports over the past few years.

I was just wondering if the reverse is also true? ROI citizens may apply for a British passport; what are the advantages for one's ability to travel of doing so?

I'm not looking for invective and political grandstanding here; rather, I', looking for any practical reasons, if any, as to why a ROI citizen should/might consider applying for a British passport.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Irish citizens applying for UK passports

Better diplomatic protection in some South American countries, cheaper visas to some countries - Australia, Rwanda (yes some of us have bizzarely been to Rwanda!). There is a flip side of course and there is many advantages to the Irish passport over the British one, particularly in conflict areas.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Citizens of the Republic of Ireland are not elegible to apply for British passports.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Centurian
    Citizens of the Republic of Ireland are not elegible to apply for British passports.
    Are you sure? I don't think that's correct. I could be wrong however, and am open to correction. Any links?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Think if you were born in NI before 1948(?) you can apply. My mother is entitled to one.
    +5.75 +1.13

unless you were born in a hospital in NI, which many along the border would be. And an increasing proportion will be, given the downgrading of acute medical services in provincial hospitals in Dundalk, Monaghan and elsewhere.
    Economic Left/Right: -3.13; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.64
    University politics are so vicious, precisely because the stakes are so small.” Henry Kissinger

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This Irish citizen is.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Longer visas in a lot of Commonwealth countries. For example a British citizen can stay in Hong Kong on a standard 'turn up at the airport' visa for six months. It used to make permanent immigration to Canada and New Zealand easier, but those regulations may have changed in the last decade.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by easygoing
    I was just wondering if the reverse is also true? ROI citizens may apply for a British passport; what are the advantages for one's ability to travel of doing so?

I'm not looking for invective and political grandstanding here; rather, I', looking for any practical reasons, if any, as to why a ROI citizen should/might consider applying for a British passport.
    My brother and sister have been tempted to go for a british passport as unlike myself they've lived practically all their lives in the UK and their future is definitely based there. There's plenty of 2nd generation irish people in the UK, who may think the same. But they've yet to apply for one as they see practically no additional benefit and in some cases the slight advantage of an irish passport being more welcome (or less unwelcome) than a british one.
    I stand with two thousand years of darkness and bafflement and hunger behind me... and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet-assembled philosophy. Evil Vicar

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilW
    This Irish citizen is.
    That's as may be, but in general citizens of the Irish Republic are not entitled to apply for British passports

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast