Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Irish Nation and the Olympic Dream

Default The Irish Nation and the Olympic Dream

There's only 23 or so days left until the 2008 Olympics open stall. Vincent Hogan had a very good article in yesterdays Irish Independent stating the plain and unfortunate facts that we probably won't win anything at the games. He goes on to say that there will be an uproar for about a week afterwards as we complain about the tax money spent and the poor performances but what I want to know is will we even do that?
    At the last Olympics Ireland finished bottom of the table with no medals after that whole horse affair. This meant that we finished below Mongolia who won a silver medal, I'm not sure what in. The point is that from the 1920s to the late 90s it had been illegal in Mongolia to have a surname. However the dropping of the ban was ignored until identification cards were introduced in 2004.I know surnames have nothing to do with Olympic titles but for all our economic success (at the time), for all the money John O'Donoughe (at the time) was putting into sports, with all the 'centres of excellence' that have been set up you'd think we would have been able to manage at least one medal if a nation with the economic background of Mongolia could manage one.
    Has Ireland lost its drive to present itself on the world stage as a great sporting nation, or indeed, did we ever have that drive in the first place? Are we content to listen to the drivel that John Tracey comes out with, that we are a small nation of untalented inbreeds, destroyed by famine and civil war and sure isn't a wonder we can even qualify to the Olympics? Second last place finishes are our gold medals. Is Ireland at the Olympics turning into Ireland at the Eurovision?
    DisgruntledNation.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: The Irish Nation and the Olympic Dream

Why are you surprised that Ireland wont win a medal in Beijing? It's not exactly unprecedented. Since '72 there have been 9 summer games and we have won legitimate (ie non-drug tainted) medals in only 4 of them. So not winning a medal is more common than winning one.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled
    This meant that we finished below Mongolia who won a silver medal, I'm not sure what in. The point is that from the 1920s to the late 90s it had been illegal in Mongolia to have a surname. However the dropping of the ban was ignored until identification cards were introduced in 2004.I know surnames have nothing to do with Olympic titles
    Please elaborate why you felt it necessary to make a correlation between the lack of surnames in Mongolia and Ireland's Olympic medal prospects! There must be some reason, let's hope it is interesting.
    Ollsgoil Dúthoilreachta - Dámhsgoil Ealadhantha Dúthgaoiseachta
    http://sites.google.com/site/ollsgoildamhsgoil/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilW
    Why are you surprised that Ireland wont win a medal in Beijing? It's not exactly unprecedented. Since '72 there have been 9 summer games and we have won legitimate (ie non-drug tainted) medals in only 4 of them. So not winning a medal is more common than winning one.
    First off, I consider Michelle Smiths Golds at Atlanta to be legit and as one of the greatest sporting achievements in our History- probably the greatest. Perhaps there was drug taking in her preparation, but I'm sorry that is common practice. Nothing was found at the time, and you can be sure that she was not taking something that others werent. The big countries like America and Australia (who are hypocritis) ran a very effective propaganda campaign against her and most of us bought it. An athlete from a small country is always an easy target.

Secondly, since Michelle's triumph we have been a disgrace. Apart from needing to spend more time and money at developing PE in school and developing facilities acround teh country, we also need to get more "sporting science" expertise into the system. There are plenty of willing triers out there but we need to develop technique. Also there may be many brilliant swimmers or athletes out there who, due to lack of money or facilities will never be discovered.
    "They take away our freedom in the name of liberty"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Respvblica
    First off, I consider Michelle Smiths Golds at Atlanta to be legit and as one of the greatest sporting achievements in our History
    It was neither but it's not really a thread about that.

I think we have an over-inflated view of Ireland's true position in world sport. We expect to win Olympic medals and are disappointed when we dont but the stats show that we draw a blank more often than we medal. Which is what you would expect of a nation of our size. There's nothing particularly commendable or shameful about our record.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moghroth
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled
    This meant that we finished below Mongolia who won a silver medal, I'm not sure what in. The point is that from the 1920s to the late 90s it had been illegal in Mongolia to have a surname. However the dropping of the ban was ignored until identification cards were introduced in 2004.I know surnames have nothing to do with Olympic titles
    Please elaborate why you felt it necessary to make a correlation between the lack of surnames in Mongolia and Ireland's Olympic medal prospects! There must be some reason, let's hope it is interesting.
    Found this article about Mongolian surnames, but still fail to see any correlation with Irish Olympic performance!
    Ollsgoil Dúthoilreachta - Dámhsgoil Ealadhantha Dúthgaoiseachta
    http://sites.google.com/site/ollsgoildamhsgoil/

And if it's not?

Ireland has a population just under twice that of Mongolia with a GDP ranking it 50th, Mongolia 143rd. Pricewaterhouse-Cooper, who we shall presume knows more then either of us, has recently declared that medal success "at the games can be linked to factors such as GDP growth, population increases and state aid" according the the Sunday Independent, July 6th.
    I mean no offence to any of our Mongolian visiters but the nation is a backward backwater, still recovering from the 'Lets ban surnames' type of communist government that ran the country as oppossed to the 'Lets drug our athletes' type communism that ran the USSR. Yet a nation simular to 1920s Ireland, without the communism, is still capable to sending a better team to the Olympics then this fair naiton. Is this not something to be even slightly embarresed about?
    Well moghroth, if my rant has not been interesting enough I shall issue and offical apology and send you a voucher for a meal somewhere.

Which is what you would expect of a nation of our size.
    Unfortunatly the batton most often used against that arguement is New Zealand. With a population a few 100k less then Ireland and 8 spots back from us on the overall GDP list New Zealand was able to win 3 gold out of a totel of 5 medals. Not since 2 Gold and a bronze in 1932 has Ireland had such a performance like that.

I'm not surprised. But is your above statistic something to be proud of? In 36 years we have won 1 medal less then New Zealand can in a single games, a nation of near identical size and GDP.
    DisgruntledNation.com

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And in 1996 when we did have an olympic superstar they made up lies about her cus they couldn't believe that our wee country could produce such a talent. and the unpatriatic anti-irish elements that live in our country joined in the whole witch hunt. Fed the lies and took greet relish in knocking our superstar off her well earned pedestal.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bullyee
    And in 1996 when we did have an olympic superstar they made up lies about her cus they couldn't believe that our wee country could produce such a talent. and the unpatriatic anti-irish elements that live in our country joined in the whole witch hunt. Fed the lies and took greet relish in knocking our superstar off her well earned pedestal.
    Come off it Bullyee, she was found to have tampered with her pi55. Not just once, not twice, but thrice.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bullyee

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast