Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New residential developments with Irish names in the North

Politics.ie Member Darren Mac an Phríora's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New residential developments with Irish names in the North

I started a thread on this in the Gaeilge forum a while ago.

In every county in the Republic- bar Wicklow and Dublin- there is a significant (in many, many cases a large) number of new residential developments being named i nGaeilge amháin today.

Why hasn't the trend caught on in NI?

OK nobody really expects there to be many/any property developers from a Unionist background to be naming their developments in Irish but presumably you would think that the property developers from a Nationalist background would.

Is it that that there aren't many developers from a Nationalist background in the North?

Up until relatively recently it was illegal to name residential developments i nGaeilge amháin in the North. Maybe it's just a case of spreading the word amongst Nationalist developers that they can do so now?

I know there are a couple of developments around Newry named i nGaeilge amháin, but you would think that there would be more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: New residential developments with Irish names in the North

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Mac an Phríora

In every county in the Republic- bar Wicklow and Dublin- there is a significant (in many, many cases a large) number of new residential developments being named i nGaeilge amháin today.

OK nobody really expects there to be many/any property developers from a Unionist background to be naming their developments in Irish but presumably you would think that the property developers from a Nationalist background would.

Is it that that there aren't many developers from a Nationalist background in the North?

Up until relatively recently it was illegal to name residential developments i nGaeilge amháin in the North. Maybe it's just a case of spreading the word amongst Nationalist developers that they can do so now?

I know there are a couple of developments around Newry named i nGaeilge amháin, but you would think that there would be more.
    People are too scared
    "You Popish rogue" 'ní leomhaid a labhairt sinn
    acht "Cromwellian dog" is focal faire againn
    nó "cia súd thall" go eann gan eagla
    "Mise Tadhg" géadh teinn an t-agallamh

Bodaigh an Cháise táid go hatuireach
    ag filleadh ar a gcéird gach spéice smeartha aca
    gan ghunna, gan chloidheamh gan pinnse chleachtadar
    d'imthigh a mbrígh is tá an cridhe dá ghreada aca.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyQueing

People are too scared
    If you're living in a Nationalist area I don't see the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=Darren Mac an Phríora]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Darren Mac an Phríora":3j5za409

People are too scared
    If you're living in a Nationalist area I don't see the problem.[/quote:3j5za409]

Darren - and you a knowledgeable man.

Put the address down on any piece of paper and you give away what you are. let us say you are going for a job. You put down your address and not only are you a fenian but an uppity fenian.

It will cause problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[quote=ArtyQueing]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Darren Mac an Phríora":4o1swbtz

People are too scared
    If you're living in a Nationalist area I don't see the problem.
    Darren - and you a knowledgeable man.

Put the address down on any piece of paper and you give away what you are. let us say you are going for a job. You put down your address and not only are you a fenian but an uppity fenian.

It will cause problems.[/quote:4o1swbtz]

If there was a trend in the North of naming developments in Irish most Unionists wouldn't mind employing someone with a Gaeilge address. The North is already 90% divided.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The local councils would go mental, the developers would get bad publicity from the anti-Irish fascist media.
    They would call it an attack on their British identity etc...

It might be legal but the rotweilers are still there.
    The housing estate would be open to vandalism from loyalists.
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by st333ve
    The local councils would go mental, the developers would get bad publicity from the anti-Irish fascist media.
    They would call it an attack on their British identity etc...

It might be legal but the rotweilers are still there.
    The housing estate would be open to vandalism from loyalists.
    Again the North is already 90% divided- 90% of the people living there live within their own community not in mixed communities or the other community.

As I said there are already a couple named i nGaeilge in Newry.

The estates wouldn't be open to vandalism from loyalists if they were in nationalist areas although you would get an exception in border line areas is dócha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Darren - people are too scared - they know the ramifications

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Darren - people are too scared - they know the ramifications
    Of course it would be inadvisable to name them in Irish in border line areas like Nationalist West and North Belfast but I don't see the problem in Nationalist areas in rural Fermanagh, Tyrone, Armagh and Derry for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is one- Cois Locha in Newry:

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast