Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John McCormack Statue Unveiled in Dublin.

Default John McCormack Statue Unveiled in Dublin.

With not a mention of it in the press. Just a few belated words from John Bowman on his RTE1 Radio show. The statue stands in the lovely Iveagh Gardens park off Clonmel street, off Harcourt street. Well worth a visit!

John McCormack had a very beautiful voice. having ignored it most of my life I am now enjoying the music from "Icon of an Age" boxset containing a biographical story in film, photos, and interviews. An amazing story by any standard!

Any Kate Bush fans here?

Default Re: John McCormack Statue Unveiled in Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan

With not a mention of it in the press. Just a few belated words from John Bowman on his RTE1 Radio show. The statue stands in the lovely Iveagh Gardens park off Clonmel street, off Harcourt street. Well worth a visit!

John McCormack had a very beautiful voice. having ignored it most of my life I am now enjoying the music from "Icon of an Age" boxset containing a biographical story in film, photos, and interviews. An amazing story by any standard!

Any Kate Bush fans here?
    Indeed, and apart from his great voice, sure isnt he well known for his massive contribution to Irish politics,.....

I think he may even have been in the GPO!!!!
    Do the Shake'N'Vac and put the freshness back!

Galeforce, ? More like a little breeze on this Community and Culture thread

I guess we will find a Political aspect to the story if we look a little deeper. Why wasn't the statue located outside the National Concert Hall ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galeforce

Any Kate Bush fans here?
    Indeed, and apart from his great voice, sure isnt he well known for his massive contribution to Irish politics,.....

it relates to irish culture and arts which is as relevant as the following (where i didn't detect similar rolling eyes from you):

clocked cars (justice/transport)
    the punt (finance/economy)
    jews (history/international/conspiracy)
    gypsies (european/history/race)
    muslims (religion/911/conspiracy)
    french students stabbed in london (justice/international)
    energy ignorance (energy)
    UFOs (conspiracy/wacko)
    bernard manning (race)

btw, i think its a good move to recognise one of ireland's greatest singers who put newly independent ireland firmly on the international arts/cultural stage. also, he brought irish music and songs to millions world wide and is credited with the popularisation of "danny boy" around the world.
    Not being able to govern events, I govern myself. -Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zakalwe
    it relates to irish culture and arts which is as relevant as the following (where i didn't detect similar rolling eyes from you):

clocked cars (justice/transport)
    the punt (finance/economy)
    jews (history/international/conspiracy)
    gypsies (european/history/race)
    muslims (religion/911/conspiracy)
    french students stabbed in london (justice/international)
    energy ignorance (energy)
    UFOs (conspiracy/wacko)
    bernard manning (race)

btw, i think its a good move to recognise one of ireland's greatest singers who put newly independent ireland firmly on the international arts/cultural stage. also, he brought irish music and songs to millions world wide and is credited with the popularisation of "danny boy" around the world.
    Was the popularisation of Danny Boy necessarily a good thing though?

but yeah culture and politics are instrinsically linked so it's alright to post this I magine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[youtube:1lmeyvl1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOiaTAu1qNE[/youtube:1lmeyvl1]

Rufus Wainwright: Macushla in lederhosen

Please take a look at the result of two years work by Martin Dwan a young, John McCormack admirer. I guess a discerning ear is required when evaluating the great vocalists in popular and classical music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CtDXQp718

Danny Boy is a beautiful melody. Why some find sentimental songs sacharine always amuses me. Secretly they actually love them! Don't tell anyone though.

Anne Doyle of RTE appreciated Elvis Presley's version of "Danny Boy" she said, "That was beautiful", after hearing it.

Any Kate Bush fans here?

It's in the Culture and Community section.

Methinks, Galeforce may be regretting his impetuosity now.

Let's move on.

Athlone underestimates the importance of it's most famous son. A John McCormack Festival in the town may well attract a great many music tourists. Just look at what Sligo does with the Yeats connection!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any Kate Bush fans here?

He was interested in becoming President of Ireland in 1938, but was illegible having taken out US citizenship previously.
    (Guys, when I type in capitals it isn't shouting. I have technical problems which makes using italics difficult. Please don't take offence if you see capitals used!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast