Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mary Whites "What We Can Do About Suicide in the New Ireland

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mary Whites "What We Can Do About Suicide in the New Ireland

Being published today. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts........?
    Following is a piece from the times

"GOVERNMENT PLANS to cut suicide rates in the State by 20 per cent over a five-year period will not be achieved as a result of a funding shortfall, a Fianna Fáil Senator has said.

Senator Mary White, in a special paper on suicide being published today, states bluntly that “the current funding is inadequate in order to achieve the goal of reducing the rate of national suicide by 2012”.

She says the National Office for Suicide Prevention is “the engine and heart of the country’s suicide prevention strategy”, but it has not received the funding recommended in the national strategy for combating suicide.

In 2005 it was recommended that the office receive a budget of €5.5 million, but its budget for 2008 is €3.5 million.

Ms White has called for the budget of the national office to be increased next year to a minimum of €5 million and says it should rise by at least €1 million a year to €8 million by 2012. She notes that three suicide prevention officer posts in the HSE are unfilled.

In her report, following several months of research on suicide, Ms White stresses that more people take their own lives in Ireland than die on the roads.

In 2006 the deaths of more than 400 people were attributed to suicide. But Ms White stresses the real figure is probably higher.

She claims many suicides are “misclassified as undetermined deaths” and studies have indicated that some road crashes are actually suicides.

A Finnish study into road deaths between 1987 and 1991 indicated about 6 per cent of road fatalities were likely suicides, while a study of road fatalities in Ireland between 1978 and 1992 by Dr John Connolly concluded that 4.5 per cent were likely suicides, she says.

In her report, What We Can Do About Suicide in the New Ireland, Ms White says evidence-based research findings indicate that reducing alcohol consumption, training GPs in identifying depression, and restricting access to lethal means are effective approaches in preventing suicide.

She recommends that the Government increase excise duties on alcoholic drinks most favoured by young people and that high-profile sponsorship of sporting events and concerts by drinks groups be phased out over the next five years.

She also wants new legislation to reduce the pack sizes of certain over-the-counter medicines, which are dangerous in large doses.

Ms White recommends that the four HSE regions immediately produce business plans to show how they intend to address the waiting lists of children and adolescents for psychiatric services in their areas. “There is an urgent need to address the crisis in the lack of mental health care for children and adolescents,” she says.@

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 81233.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Mary Whites "What We Can Do About Suicide in the New Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Wheely217
    I hope the reports addresses the factors behind the disproportionate number of men who commit suicide and the why the vast majority of these men hadn't even sought medical advice for their problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm curious as to why she felt the need to do all this 'research' when she could have just spoke to Dan Neville? This looks considerably less like research and more like research by googling for other people's work and simply proclaiming that she is aware of it.

Re: the pack sizes of over the counter medicines we already have restrictions on the quantity of some items that may be sold. It was not the size of the packs that it was the vulnerability it was the number of packs people could buy.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After hearing her on the Pat Kenny show Ifelt like hitting my head off the wall----must consult my GP.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Go to this link.

Very interesting book.

http://www.philmacgiollabhain.com/book.html
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    - Sigmund Freud (speaking about the Irish)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheely217
    Hi Senator, welcome to politics.ie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well spotted myk------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loner
    Well spotted myk------

either that or it could be a parliamentary worker assisting the senator. Either way, I hope Wheely217 will update us on the status of the presidential campaign, and how the Senator plans to outmanoeuvre the likes of Brian Crowley and Mary Davis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To say a target will not be met because of a shortfall in funding is to suggest the problem is amenable to a solution that involves funding. The suicide rate will decline as the young male demographic declines but it seems to me absurd to suggest we can spend money to reduce suicide rates when we can't even explain why people do it in the first place.

How can anyone be against suicide prevention? So anyone who loos for money for it has the high moral ground. I'm sceptical to say the least.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good to see there's no lack of cynicism here. While I'm tempted to pretend to be a Senator, hell maybe one day, but I'm not. Just caught my eye this morning, its an issue I feel strongly about and seeing as Id never posted before thought i'd start with this. I was actually just tryin to start a discussion and see how people felt about it.......

Poltical posturing or not by Mary White, and absolutely not taking anything away from Dan Neville, its good to see it in the paper again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast