Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some people are so ignorant! (about energy)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Some people are so ignorant! (about energy)

No, I don't mean rude.

In a nutshell, I work in the renewable energy sector (supplying and installing solar hot water systems), and I'm becoming more and more amazed as time goes on at the sheer ignorance of many people toward energy costs.

I've been to houses with rubbish insulation, places where even rudimentary improvements (like a bit of putty around the windows) would make a huge difference, places where they might as well be burning money, and yet so many of these people are highly suspicious of ANY home improvements that would cut down on their bills. Even with oil so high and electricity going up, there is such a marked reluctance to do ANYTHING that might improve matters. I got an earful last week when I showed a customer a wood pellet stove I have in my showroom - remarking on the fact that it was a) cheap to run and b) environmentally friendly, I was suddenly treated to a lecture on the environmental movement and how "people like you" want to stop me working on my land (I think he meant cutting hedgerows).

Blow me. The grant scheme is not enough - efforts to inform people about energy efficiency need to be stepped up, big time. The Change campaign and Power of One have yet to impact on some people, and even oil at E150 a barrel isn't having a big impact.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

<MOD>Altered the title to make it a little clearer as to what the thread is about<MOD>

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Some people are so ignorant!

There's definitely a problem with the introduction of energy savings policies that may highlight a general ignorance on the populace's understanding but may also highlight the way in which energy efficiency had been talked about by politicians and the media. Almost all energy efficiency ideas are now imbedded in grand ideas like global warming, and all subsequent conversations talk about higher costs and ever more regulation. The average punter is starting to associate the environmental movement with ever greater regulation. They believe that some politicians are using the environmental issue to ram through regulations which are only marginally beneficial to the enviroment are more motiviated towards controlling resources and markets.
    A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves. (B. de Jouvenel)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine2
    No, I don't mean rude.

In a nutshell, I work in the renewable energy sector (supplying and installing solar hot water systems), and I'm becoming more and more amazed as time goes on at the sheer ignorance of many people toward energy costs.

I've been to houses with rubbish insulation, places where even rudimentary improvements (like a bit of putty around the windows) would make a huge difference, places where they might as well be burning money, and yet so many of these people are highly suspicious of ANY home improvements that would cut down on their bills. Even with oil so high and electricity going up, there is such a marked reluctance to do ANYTHING that might improve matters. I got an earful last week when I showed a customer a wood pellet stove I have in my showroom - remarking on the fact that it was a) cheap to run and b) environmentally friendly, I was suddenly treated to a lecture on the environmental movement and how "people like you" want to stop me working on my land (I think he meant cutting hedgerows).

Blow me. The grant scheme is not enough - efforts to inform people about energy efficiency need to be stepped up, big time. The Change campaign and Power of One have yet to impact on some people, and even oil at E150 a barrel isn't having a big impact.

Perhaps people suspect that you have a vested interest when you suggest they should spend more money on repairs? Especially when you start showing them 'deals' in your showroom?
    Perhaps they are also still smarting from how mercenary and outrageously expensive it became in recent years to pay a tradesman to do absolutely anything?
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ideed it perhap tthe price are very high for a average person to afford. And then when thay do get something, you make comments on how thay live!
    Time for the Irish Goverment to do the honorable thing and go. If thay have any honour left.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, I don't mean rude.

The reason they are suspicious is that they think you are some kind of snake oil salesman (I'm sure you are not!) and because our govt. and media have spent years training people to be very careful before believing anything.
    They will change their minds when they start seeing real people they know with your system, assuming it works well. Do you have a website or leaflets with quotes from local people??

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner
    No, I don't mean rude.

Perhaps people suspect that you have a vested interest when you suggest they should spend more money on repairs? Especially when you start showing them 'deals' in your showroom?
    Perhaps they are also still smarting from how mercenary and outrageously expensive it became in recent years to pay a tradesman to do absolutely anything?
    I don't supply insulation so I have no "vested interest" in suggesting that they improve their insulation. And I don't show them "deals" - I show them solar panels if they want to see it. You would prefer that I show them nothing, and have no showroom?

At any rate your argument doesn't explain why people are reluctant in general to consider energy saving measures - they should become more price and quality conscious, not reject the idea outright, which is what I find many people do.

On costs, you're right - costs are high, due in no small part to high costs of doing business and competition constrictions higher up the supply chain. The guys on the ground are competing strongly, but many suppliers further up the chain are not. Add to that 21% VAT, higher fuel costs and rates, and you have a high cost economy. I'm actually cheaper than the competition across town, but I would like to be cheaper still. But when you're a sole trader and you're asked to fork out 3.5K for insurance, as I was this week, the costs add up. And they have to be passed on. If there was more competition between insurance companies...

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COMMIE
    Ideed it perhap tthe price are very high for a average person to afford. And then when thay do get something, you make comments on how thay live!
    I make a suggestion - "you know, your insulation is very thin in your attic - would do you no harm to put some more up there".

And the whole point I'm getting at is that there are a huge number of small, inexpensive things you can do - draught excluding for example - which cost feck all and make a big difference - and so many people aren't doing it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would it be worthwhile to do some simple sums for the average punter to look at? Right now we're in a pretty severe economic downturn. I'd imagine that many people are reluctant to dip into their cash reserves in order fund future savings right now. However, there must be a percentage of the population who can see the benefits and only need to see how their initial outlay will result in quick energy savings come this winter. Just a thought. gl.
    A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves. (B. de Jouvenel)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And a good one. Will try to put up some sums/simple tips for saving energy over the next few days

And I won't charge a cent for it, JCS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are a lot of simple things like draught and attic insulation that any reasonably fit householder can do for themselves.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast