Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Future of Coast Guard could be decided today

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Future of Coast Guard could be decided today

The future of Malin & Valentia Coast Guard Stations could be announced today following the oireachtas committee meeting on Transport and the Marine.

The Head of the Coast Guard is advocating a move, which would see both stations downgraded to a two man operation, with two new centres being built at cost of millions to the tax payer.

As usual, Dempsey seems clueless and is relying on the advice of officials who carried out a report, which on further inspection, was deemed to be highly flawed. This report was the basis of the move.

Former Minister Dermot Ahern commissioned a report in 2004, which stated that both stations should have been upgraded. Is this another case of officials running the department??

Any thoughts??
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    - Sigmund Freud (speaking about the Irish)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Future of Coast Guard could be decided today

Living as I do in a fishing village with an extremely active Coast Guard station, I'm well aware of the sterling work these men and women perform. The service requires more investment, not less. Especially, one imagines, on the wind and waveswept south and west coasts.
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah but it doesn't need an upheaval away from the coastal communites to a more centralised location like Shannon?? The lcoal knowledge that is provided by the workers in Malin and Valentia is invaluable. Lives have been saved because of this.,

Dempsey is making a decison based on a flawed report, and i think that in the current economic climate, he can't justify the cost of two new stations, when these stations can be upgraded for a fraction of the cost.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    - Sigmund Freud (speaking about the Irish)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polito123
    Yeah but it doesn't need an upheaval away from the coastal communites to a more centralised location like Shannon?? The lcoal knowledge that is provided by the workers in Malin and Valentia is invaluable. Lives have been saved because of this.,

Dempsey is making a decison based on a flawed report, and i think that in the current economic climate, he can't justify the cost of two new stations, when these stations can be upgraded for a fraction of the cost.

surely malin head dosent have the infrastructure to support a coast guard station????????

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whose constituencies benefit from this?
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This came up on the Lisbon Treaty forum here. From what can be googled, this is basically a campaign in Kerry looking to hold on to 17 publically funded jobs. As you can imagine, the actual functioning of the service is an irrelevance in this context. I'm sure the stations have been doing an adequate job for years, but apparently change is necessary.

Its very simple, in my view. Do you feel that Kerry County Council give more of a toss about the efficient functioning of the national coastguard radio system than about 17 jobs in Valentia? Bearing in mind that campaigners were advocating a No to Lisbon on this one local issue - clearly illustrating that national welfare was simply not on their minds.

Are we ever going to get to a situation where public service outputs matter more than the location of public service payrolls?
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just don't see the point of moving from the 2 existing sites to 2 new sites in Shannon and Dublin, when the present ones are working perfectly well. To me it seems to be change for the sake of change and surely the current sites can be upgraded to the same specifications as that envisaged for the proposed new sites.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks
    I just don't see the point of moving from the 2 existing sites to 2 new sites in Shannon and Dublin, when the present ones are working perfectly well. To me it seems to be change for the sake of change and surely the current sites can be upgraded to the same specifications as that envisaged for the proposed new sites.
    Firstly, you are contradicting yourself by simultaneously saying current sites can be upgraded while maintaining you see no need for change. An upgrade is a change.

For my part, I don't see why location is particularly an issue at all. Whether its in Valentia or Shannon is a matter of complete indifference to me. If the head of the coastguard says Shannon is a better location for the system, and Kerry County Council say it simply has to be in Valentia regardless of any other consideration, I know who I trust to have a balanced view of the topic.

On a footnote, my understanding (just from Google) is that the change involves combining the Valentia and Malin operations in Shannon. There is already a site in Dublin, which I believe has been earmarked to move to Drogheda as part of the mindless decentralisation programme. I just saying this to dismiss your inevitable need to work the name 'Dublin' into your post, where it really doesn't feature at all.

Can I suggest FrankThinks before FrankSpeaks again.
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone interested in actually seeing a brief overview of why the move is being contemplated, as distinct from anyone who wants to bang a drum for Kerry regardless of the impact on anyone else, the Department of Transport have posted up a background document here. The key point is here
    With modern equipment it would be possible to run the MRCC from one location anywhere in the country. Furthermore, the operator positions could be remote from the radio switching infrastructure. Neither option is however, being recommended. A Deloitte & Touche report on the Coast Guard in 2002 recommended that two centres should be operated on the basis that each would be capable of supporting the entire national network and the configuration should allow for continuity of service in the event of any one individual Centre becoming unserviceable.
    The report outlines various practical complications, which include the blind decision to close the centre in Dublin regardless of service implications (because closing stuff in Dublin can only be good!!).

Any reasonable person, after reading that document, will simply ignore all this Kerry based lobbying for the retention of 17 public service jobs. It belongs in the same dustbin as their antics over Paul Galvin.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Coast guard do an admirable job but one change that should be in any report in to ditch the RNLI and replace with INLI.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast