Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Irish Times online for free

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish Times online for free

From Monday morning, The Irish Times will publish under a new address: www.irishtimes.com

It will be free to access

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Irish Times online for free

It's a good decision, and long overdue. Going subscription-based was a bad idea - the IT could have developed an influential position worldwide if it had remained free.

Geraldine Kennedy has a typically over-the-top article in today's paper about the change, which can be read here

Quote Originally Posted by Madam
    The launch of www.irishtimes.com presents us with the enhanced opportunity to bring Irish Times standards of journalism to a new audience.

In a new world where trust and accuracy are often the casualties of speed, www.irishtimes.com is designed to co-ordinate Irish Times content in print and online; to capitalise on our reputation for accuracy, authority, independent analysis and comment; to appeal to web-based readers who are growing in numbers; and, to restore The Irish Times title to the web.

Like this newspaper, irishtimes.com is governed by the Memoranda and Articles of The Irish Times Trust which mandates us "to publish The Irish Times as an independent newspaper primarily concerned with serious issues for the benefit of the community throughout the whole of Ireland, free from any form of personal or party political, commercial, religious or other sectional control".

The launch of www.irishtimes.com on Monday morning is intended to ensure the continuity of this newspapers distinct ethos, identity and journalism in new media.

For the love of God!
    <Insert slogan here>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I take it that doesn't include the Archive section which is €395 a year to use.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great move. I would guess that they've sold the ireland.com site for a hefty fee.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess they cant get anyone to buy the tripe they print .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I subscribe. Just got an e-mail saying I would be contacted "next week about my options". I hope one option is a refund.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

remember martyn Turner's sarcastic cartoon designed to make people unwilling to pay online for the IT as spongers.

Joke's on you now IT.

Obviously the subscription service was a flop and geraldine's just putting a worthy spin on the face-egg

Say what you like about the O'Reilly's but they're far savvier than the uptheirownbacksides Irish times

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's Ireland's best (and ironically the most Independent) daily newspaper. I guess the online charge proved too expensive; they didn't get the level of subscription they needed) and so now they are absorbing most of the online staff into the print newsroom. Of course the paper has too many ego-trippers and self-indulgent scribes, some of whom the paper could well do without (Breda O'Brien, Kate Holmquist, John Waters, who are parodying themselves at this stage). Still, the nuggets of gold camouflage the dross, and I would still rate it as the best Irish daily, indeed the best daily in these islands.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum
    It's a good decision, and long overdue. Going subscription-based was a bad idea - the IT could have developed an influential position worldwide if it had remained free.

Geraldine Kennedy has a typically over-the-top article in today's paper about the change, which can be read here

Quote Originally Posted by Madam
    The launch of http://www.irishtimes.com presents us with the enhanced opportunity to bring Irish Times standards of journalism to a new audience.

In a new world where trust and accuracy are often the casualties of speed, http://www.irishtimes.com is designed to co-ordinate Irish Times content in print and online; to capitalise on our reputation for accuracy, authority, independent analysis and comment; to appeal to web-based readers who are growing in numbers; and, to restore The Irish Times title to the web.

Like this newspaper, irishtimes.com is governed by the Memoranda and Articles of The Irish Times Trust which mandates us "to publish The Irish Times as an independent newspaper primarily concerned with serious issues for the benefit of the community throughout the whole of Ireland, free from any form of personal or party political, commercial, religious or other sectional control".

The launch of http://www.irishtimes.com on Monday morning is intended to ensure the continuity of this newspapers distinct ethos, identity and journalism in new media.

For the love of God!
    where exactly was the enboldened part of the above during the lisbon campaign?

still might be fun to drop in to pravda, sorry, the irish time site every now and again. particularly if i need a good laugh.

truely these people have disappeared up their own arses
    “The measure of a civilization is how it treats its weakest members.” Vote NO on May 25th. 2016 : Anybody but FF/FG/LAB !

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who exactly are the members of this famous Trust? and why exactly are we meant to give our complete unquestioning belief to their guidance. Ireland did that for the Catholic Church and look what happened.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast