Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nelson Mandela?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Nelson Mandela?

Nelson Mandela. I would be grateful if somebody could explain to me just why he is such a hero. London is hosting his ninetieth birthday celebrations with a free concert etc. Why? What exactly did he do that was such an achievment? Not just that he fought apartheid. Thousands did that and many died. I honestly cannot see what his contribution was apart from being apprehended while involved in some sort of terrorist plot and spending years in prison.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Nelson Mandela?

God bless poor Ireland....
    Grow spuds and be true to yourself...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Clarify?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idaworldbeaters
    Clarify?
    Just read 'Long Walk to Freedom' or 'The Struggle is my life' (both by Nelson Mandela) and make up your own mind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No. Why dont you just give me a sentence or two to answer my very simple question? So Nelson Mandela has written two books on his life which you appear to regard as infallible reference works. LOL. How about something heroic about him that he didnt actually write?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im already weary of you. Read what you like on him; his words, the words of others, the historical record as presented by reputable historians. Or just form opinions sourced in your own prejudices, or feelings in your water, or founded in some tribal ritual in which you indulge in an exploratory grope of the lumps on your skull, stir the tea leaves, chant your mantra to Odd for 15 minutes and thereby divine some sort of received 'Truth'.

But dont then try to hold me responsible for your ignorance. Thats all your own, gasar. Good luck with your ritual.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

God Bom you are so pathetic. You cannot answer a reasonable question save with insult. Absolutely no mature , considered reply at all. Sad , deluded creaure.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1. Mandela graciously accepted a handover of power from De Klerk and avoided Mugabe style massacres for a while.
    2. He forgave his wife Winnie for her involvement in the abduction and murder of young boys including 14 year old Stompie Muketsi.
    3. He recently broke his decades of silence and criticised Mugabe for the decades old Zimbabwe genocide.
    4. That's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idaworldbeaters
    I would be grateful if somebody could explain to me just why he is such a hero.
    He managed to get a photo call with spice girls at the height of their popularity.

But seriously, he is old and we invest in him much (too much) credit. He is a heart a politician and has most of the flaws associated with that, we choose just not to see them. There is no harm in it, he is a lofty media icon and I do have respect for him. He is an accidental hero, but has played the role well. I suppose we have built up an the image of what we think an African leader should be, and in doing to set a bench mark for others up live to too (fat chance though). Mandela plays his part.

But he did block attempts by some in the ANC to remove referances by the Truth and Reconciliation commision to human rights violations carried out by a group he co-founded. That showed leadership and a degree of real commitment to reconsiliation. But he has been too quite on too many other issues.
    g4 ... e5
    f3 ... Qh4#

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Collins
    1. Mandela graciously accepted a handover of power from De Klerk and avoided Mugabe style massacres for a while.
    You are right. The humility and graciousness towards his former adversaries sets him apart.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast