Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Thatcher required (please attach cv)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish Thatcher required (please attach cv)

OK, maybe not to the point of allowing hunder strikers to die but I do think that the seriousness of the economic (recession) and political (Lisbon) crisis facing the country at the moment is so dire that we need an 'Irish Thatcher' who fits the following criteria:

(a) knows the policies required to put the country back on the right track (massive public sector reform, fix Govt current spending, end dependency on the housing sector, get Lisbon passed one way or another, smash the clientelist model of politics in this country, eradicate political corruption, get our infrastructure up to the required level, build a nuclear power station etc etc - add your own)

(b) has the toughness to face down all the vested interests to actually get these policies implemented - unions, CIF, clientelists etc

I look around the Dail and I don't see anyone with the required attributes. All in all, I wouldn't trust most of them to run a corner shop. It seems that we Irish don't like conviction politicans (no, not the Stroke Fahy type of convictions ) but that's exactly what we will require in the coming years.

Love her or loath her, Thatcher had the necessary courage to do what it took to get the UK back on its feet. We need the same now. FF got us into this mess, I don't see them (or anyone else of the current crop) getting us out.
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Irish Thatcher required (please attach cv)

How about Michael O'Leary
    Fianna Fail will allow the Irish People, to me milked like Milch Cows, by the CIF through high house prices, rents, and land prices, at the expense of competitiveness,and quality of life. FF+CIF=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mairteenpak
    It may sound facetious (maybe you are being serious) but he does fit the bill in many respects
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz
    OK, maybe not to the point of allowing hunder strikers to die but I do think that the seriousness of the economic (recession) and political (Lisbon) crisis facing the country at the moment is so dire that we need an 'Irish Thatcher' who fits the following criteria:

(a) knows the policies required to put the country back on the right track (massive public sector reform, fix Govt current spending, end dependency on the housing sector, get Lisbon passed one way or another, smash the clientelist model of politics in this country, eradicate political corruption, get our infrastructure up to the required level, build a nuclear power station etc etc - add your own)

(b) has the toughness to face down all the vested interests to actually get these policies implemented - unions, CIF, clientelists etc

I look around the Dail and I don't see anyone with the required attributes. All in all, I wouldn't trust most of them to run a corner shop. It seems that we Irish don't like conviction politicans (no, not the Stroke Fahy type of convictions ) but that's exactly what we will require in the coming years.

Love her or loath her, Thatcher had the necessary courage to do what it took to get the UK back on its feet. We need the same now. FF got us into this mess, I don't see them (or anyone else of the current crop) getting us out.
    We do not now nor ever will need anything remotely like an Irish Thatcher. Mind you McDowell came a close second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiernanator
    We do not now nor ever will need anything remotely like an Irish Thatcher. Mind you McDowell came a close second.
    blanket statements aren't particularly enlightening unless you back them up with reasons

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mairteenpak
    It may sound facetious (maybe you are being serious) but he does fit the bill in many respects
    He would take the job :mrgreen:
    Fianna Fail will allow the Irish People, to me milked like Milch Cows, by the CIF through high house prices, rents, and land prices, at the expense of competitiveness,and quality of life. FF+CIF=1

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sure why dont you just invite another Cromwell, according to our neighbours he was also a great leader
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by st333ve
    Sure why dont you just invite another Cromwell, according to our neighbours he was also a great leader
    again, a throwaway quip. Very enlightening. Maybe I should have said FDR instead to remove the anti-English reflex that afflicts some posters on this site.

can I ask you a question; are you happy with current standards of political leadership in this country?

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by st333ve
    I take it you haven't seen the report then about an English historian writing a new book about Cromwell's time? She says that what Cromwell did in Ireland was very wrong and could not be justified. Just because some donut put up a statue of him does not mean the English like him.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiernanator
    blanket statements aren't particularly enlightening unless you back them up with reasons
    A blanket statement because Ireland is not and never will be the UK. Economic conditions have always varied and the role of the trade union movement is not the same as it was in Thatchers time. What the world doesn't need at the minute or ever in my opinion is a return to failed monetarist policies. THEY DON'T WORK....BOOM AND BUST ...BOOM AND BUST. So therefore Ireland like rest of the world does not need a Thatcher/Raygun figure to put the boot into the working class. The working class already has a big enough boot in their solar plexus with personal debt, low paid foreign workers and many other factors.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast