Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Space heating - cheapest method?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Space heating - cheapest method?

With the way heating costs are soaring I can see people having to go back in time with their heating strategy. Before having central heating, as kids we would get ready for bed and dressed in the morning huddled around the solid fuel cooking range. Generally the kitchen was the room heated all day and then the sitting room in the evenings.

Any way I was wondering if people have ideas on the most cost effective way to heat one or two rooms? For example is it worth installing zones in the central heating. Going around turning on and off rads is something it's hard to keep on top off. What about installing a wood fired stove? Or is a simple electric heater to heat one room while the central heating is off a cost effective thing to do?
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Space heating - cheapest method?

Bottle of Rum

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garlandgreen
    Bottle of Rum
    I said cost effective GG
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imokyrok
    Quote Originally Posted by garlandgreen
    Bottle of Rum
    I said cost effective GG
    Well you can try the lidl stuff if you like but your putting your life in your own hands

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Readybrek and a jumper. Perhaps a brisk set of jumping jacks and pushups?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

haha -very funny. some serious suggestions would be welcome now. The bill for the gas heating in my house last year was 2000euro and that will be going up by 30% next year. Our electricity bills are also going to see big hikes. Pratical solutions people please.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imokyrok
    haha -very funny. some serious suggestions would be welcome now. The bill for the gas heating in my house last year was 2000euro and that will be going up by 30% next year. Our electricity bills are also going to see big hikes. Pratical solutions people please.
    Sorry I ain't got nuttin Imo. I don't do serious so good.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Put up big heavy curtains on your windows. They look ghastly but they can keep the heat in a room.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Insulate insulate insulate insulate...

Did I mention insulate?

Air Tightness Test - get it done and get all the air leaks it shows up blocked.

After that start thinking of heat sources.

I put a small wood burning stove into my living room - just put it where the fireplace was, ran the flue about 2 metres up the chimney and then blocked the area around the flue with rockwool. Works a treat and heats a large part of the house.

Zoning your central heating is definitely a good idea - thermostatic rad valves are the handiest method of doing this.

Put some reflector strips down behind your rads too, especially if they are mounted on external walls.

Take wolverine's advice and splash out on some insulation - try to turn your house into a Thermos flask and next year, with the savings you've made, buy yourself a ventilation system that freshens the air but doesn't let your heat escape.

For less than 2K you can get a solid fuel Stanley stove into which a good plumber should plug your existing radiator system for around the same cost. Open fires are pretty and pretty useless. A stove takes a bit more work but you should have plenty of heat and you can turn off the rads in all but one or two of the rooms. Dual and multi-systems are about to make a big comeback.

If your house is way too big for your needs then you deserve all you get.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast