Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What was access to our fishing stocks worth to Europe?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What was access to our fishing stocks worth to Europe?

Much has been made of the fact we have recived 17bn in EU/EC/EEC structural and cohesion funds over the last 35 years. (http://www.iro.ie/EU-structural-funds.html) The argument now being expressed after the Lisbon vote as we took the money and ran. There were also billions in cap payments (how much were these?).

Our biggest contribution to the rest of the EU was access to our fishing stock (or rape of the Irish box if one wants to use emotive language). Can anyone quantify this?

(It was raised on another thread, but the poster who claimed it was worth 60bn appears unable to back up the claim)(and yes I have tried google).
    We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns the ones we don't know we don't know.

Default Re: What was access or our fishing stocks worth to Europe?

The difference between what Ireland paid in and what Ireland recieved back since 1973 has been 55 billion euros

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: What was access or our fishing stocks worth to Europe?

I'm not sure you could quantify it. After all, the fast-and-loose attitudes of the Spanish fleet in particular is legendary. God only knows just how much fish they have taken over the decades or what they sold it for - you can be certain they only officially declared a fraction of it.

Many billions, certainly, but I'd say any estimate you find would be pure guesswork.
    Je suis un loo-lah

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: What was access to our fishing stocks worth to Europe?

This is always going to be guesswork and this is'nt the plaice to guess it.

Stop acting the Cod. This is a serious debate.
    You're obviously out of tuna from public opinion.

I'll get me coat.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's time to bring back RAY burke (Ill get me oilskins).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by codology
    This is always going to be guesswork and this is'nt the plaice to guess it.
    Oh no, what have I done? Now unleash post after post of the salmon of knowledge, hook line and sinker, ray of hope, european sharks, turning to a different tuna and indeed codology.

Actuaries, economist and even spoofers have been able to quantify anything. What is the best guestimate of what access to Irish waters has amounted to? I presume less than 55bn?
    We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns the ones we don't know we don't know.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i was looking for this info a couple of weeks ago. only place i could find it when i googled it was sinn fein website said 36billion.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the mere fact that nobody cared enough to keep track is extremely revealing, myself.
    Je suis un loo-lah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We're probably talking about billions

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/seascapes/1160715.html

Quote Originally Posted by Seascapes
    Spanish Demand for Fish Increases
    The extent of the Spanish seafood industry is shown in new statistics from the country's Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, which indicate that the population of 41 million consumed 1.6 million tonnes of fish last year. A consumer survey showed that Spaniards are eating 36.7kg of fish each and that their consumption is dominated by a demand for fresh products. On average, Spanish consumers eat seafood on ten days of each month, according to the survey, which also shows that they prefer to buy it fresh from a traditional fishmonger. Women eat more fish than men in Spain. Health concerns are the primary motivation for eating fish. Eight out of ten shoppers indicated that they bought fish as a healthy product. Four out of ten said they believed that the quality of frozen fish was not as good as fresh.

The value of the Spanish seafood industry has been put at around 10 billion, which perhaps underlines the importance of their catching sector and the determination of the Spanish to get dominant access to EU fishing grounds.

I have been in Spain a number of times and wondered how much of the fish being served there has come from Irish waters, particularly the smaller fish which are considered a delicacy.

The extent of their fishing/seafood industry shows what we have lost by the inane stupidity of successive Irish Governments. The most culpable are those who negotiated away our fishing rights and on whom a heavy burden of blame should rest. We have lost economically and socially as a result. Just look at the problems of our fishing industry and the coastal communities. It was the politicians who failed them. The blame for the present situation is squarely on the shoulders of the Government. Let there be no doubt about that.
    "I put down the welter of corruption in Irish politics to Burke's escape from retribution after that exposure in 1974. It gave everybody in the game a licence to steal."

- Joe MacAnthony

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast