Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Provisional Sinn Fein fails in bid to recruit GAA star

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Provisional Sinn Fein fails in bid to recruit GAA star

Provisional Sinn Fein has made an audacious attempt to recruit Cork's All Ireland winning hurling captain Sean Og O hAilpin as an election candidate.

They have drawn up a 'dream team' of would-be TDs with O'hAilpin among their top targets.

Local sources said that Provisional Sinn Fein had sounded out the star about his political ambitions in recent weeks. Provisional Sinn Fein's leadership has drawn up a wish list of would-be TDs spanning every profession and with squeaky-clean, paramilitary-free credentials.

Provisional Sinn Fein intends to deploy "respectable" candidates across as many constituencies as possible in the next election - expected in about 18 months - who can attract middle-class votes, and particularly Fianna Fail votes.

Referring to Provisional Sinn Fein's MEP Mary Lou McDonald, one political observer said: "It's the Mary Lou effect. The party knows there are big votes in presentation, people with no baggage. People don't want the PIRA and the North."

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All I'll say to this is

What are ye at Lads????

you get respectablity by earning it not putting a gloosy image on things!
    An eye for an eye makes us all blind
    Mohandas Gandhi

Economic Left/Right: -5.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well TH it's not as if the Sindo have a good track record when it comes to reporting truthfully on SF. While I may not agree with this assertion myself, many feel Jonathan O' Brien has a chance of a seat next time, he is also a poll topping councillor, why would they not stand him. This was probably nothing more than a random SF member asking Seán Óg off his own back. Now I think Seán Óg is more than likely a republican, but I don't think even if he did have the time, that his economic views would be consistent with ours. Andrea Roche canvassed for Jonathan O' Brien once, (or so we have been told) I suppose we'll hear stories of her being approached next. If we go down that road of tacky stunts like that, we are in dire straits. While I would have no problem with us eventually letting republican minded celebrities such as Jimmy Barry Murphy, Damien Dempsey or whoever, they would have to earn their stripes in the party first. In that story they spoke of the Mary-lou effect, but Mary Lou was always active in politics.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Take an old chill pill there for a second DOD.. there's a couple of things even I as a Shinner would take issue with in this post

Quote Originally Posted by DOD
    Well TH it's not as if the Sindo have a good track record when it comes to reporting truthfully on SF.
    Fair enough, I'd find it hard to believe that Gerry was the party leader if they said so. Comes from the boy crying wolf syndrome methinks.

While I may not agree with this assertion myself, many feel Jonathan O' Brien has a chance of a seat next time, he is also a poll topping councillor, why would they not stand him.
    There was nothing in the report saying that Jonathon wouldn't be the preferred candidate, subject to convention, so theres no point in us Shinners getting involved in the speculation.

This was probably nothing more than a random SF member asking Seán Óg off his own back. Now I think Seán Óg is more than likely a republican, but I don't think even if he did have the time, that his economic views would be consistent with ours.
    This is being unfair to Sean Og on two counts.

1. His political beliefs are unknown, so we needn't open them to speculation

2. His economic beliefs are certainly not known. The guy simply works for a bank, and fair enough, he's got to put food on the table. Working in a bank would certainly not be an indicator of economic beliefs.

Andrea Roche canvassed for Jonathan O' Brien once, (or so we have been told) I suppose we'll hear stories of her being approached next.
    Can't comment on this except to say I don't believe it was Andrea Roche. It was a different Miss Ireland, who was friendly with a candidate down in West Cork, not with Jonathon.

If we go down that road of tacky stunts like that, we are in dire straits.
    Don't even bother with calling things like these tacky stunts. Thats only acknowledging a story that may have no truth whatsoever.

While I would have no problem with us eventually letting republican minded celebrities such as Jimmy Barry Murphy, Damien Dempsey or whoever, they would have to earn their stripes in the party first.
    Thats a given

In that story they spoke of the Mary-lou effect, but Mary Lou was always active in politics.
    Take no notice of the Indo, Sindo or any of O' Rielly's mouthpieces
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trojanhorse
    All I'll say to this is

What are ye at Lads????

3 words spring to mind here TH.....

Pot.. Kettle .. Black...

sorry just thought of a fourth ....

Hypocrisy

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In fairness RoC... it would be a great stunt for the party.

I've heard rumours of this kinda thing before and I would not rule it out. Other political parties indulge in get low grade celebrities to run for them, why not SF?

And good work on having some principle on the issue RoC.....rare in a shinner
    Mohandas Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm just a special kinda guy TH

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel

Andrea Roche canvassed for Jonathan O' Brien once, (or so we have been told) I suppose we'll hear stories of her being approached next.
    Can't comment on this except to say I don't believe it was Andrea Roche. It was a different Miss Ireland, who was friendly with a candidate down in West Cork, not with Jonathon.
    Yeah, it might have been another Miss Ireland, but it was definitely Jonathon she was meant to have canvassed for, she could have been doing it as a favour to the other candidate though.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All I'll say to this is

What are ye at Lads????

Pot.. Kettle .. Black...

Hypocrisy
    Firstly,

Pardon me?
    what exactly are you refering to there

Secondly...

you certainly are some charmer RoC...just don't be saying I'm from Offaly!
    Mohandas Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All I'll say to this is

What are ye at Lads????

Pot.. Kettle .. Black...

Hypocrisy
    Firstly,

Pardon me?
    what exactly are you refering to there

Secondly...

you certainly are some charmer RoC...just don't be saying I'm from Offaly!
    In relation to this TH, FF have been trawling round for years trying to secure big name "parachute" candidates, usually without luck. Take Dempsey in Wexford last time, purely picked on the back of his association with the wexford hurlers. They've been trying for ages to swing DJ in Kilkenny, and for a while tried to turn Parlon into a FFer until the PD's offered him a ministry when Biffo wouldn't have it. There are other cases round the country, from local authority level, up to national level. I can give instances of FF offering local authority runs to people who could barely write their own names, but could swing a hurley, but it would be embarassing for both the people involved and FF.

So, to now begin to accuse SF of trying this on, with absolutely no confirmation that it actually happened except for a sindo report (which probably confirms that it is lies) is a bit hypocritical.

I do think though, that its a great story for SF in Cork NC. Because I believe that even though it was never a runner, the very fact that Sean Og is associated with Jonathon in a bonus for him

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast