Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish army parades at Lourdes

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish army parades at Lourdes

http://www.militarychaplaincy.ie/lourdes/index.html

What with artillery units named after saints and military parades at Lourdes the defence forces are far from secular, who claim blame unionists for historically not wanting to be part of the rosary bead circus the Irish republic has always been ?

The vatican army was there to on a military pilgrimage.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Irish army parades at Lourdes

If you spent two minutes searching t'internet you would have found that members of the British armed services and many other countries take part in the International Military Pilgrimage as well.

Cheap shot there and not even a researched one.
    The theory of De-evolution is proven every day on the internet

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RBinge
    If you spent two minutes searching t'internet you would have found that members of the British armed services and many other countries take part in the International Military Pilgrimage as well.

Cheap shot there and not even a researched one.

None the less the republic is still not doing enough in moving away from all that stuff, looking at the disunity it has caused to the nation.

President Mary McAleese is in the French pilgrim town of Lourdes along with 500 members of the Defence Forces to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the shrine.

They are joining thousands of soldiers from around the world for special military ceremonies marking the jubilee.

Members of the Defence Forces have been taking part in the annual pilgrimage to the Marian Shrine in Lourdes for the past 50 years.
    Advertisement

However, an extra large Irish group has travelled this year for the 150th anniversary of the appearance of the Virgin Mary to a peasant girl named Bernadette.

The group includes 500 soldiers, hundreds of army veterans, members of the Civil Defence and their families.

President McAleese, who is Supreme Commander of the Defence Forces, her husband Martin, and Archbishop of Dublin Dr Diarmuid Martin are taking part in the ceremonies over the next three days.

The Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Dermot Earley, along with the head of the EU-Chad mission, Lieutenant General Pat Nash, and soldiers from all ranks are also participating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalif
    http://www.militarychaplaincy.ie/lourdes/index.html

What with artillery units named after saints and military parades at Lourdes the defence forces are far from secular, who claim blame unionists for historically not wanting to be part of the rosary bead circus the Irish republic has always been ?

The vatican army was there to on a military pilgrimage.
    If Irish Muslim soldiers went on a pilgrimage to Mecca I doubt you'd object. Artillery units are not named after saints by the way, they are merely numbered- 1st Field Artillery Regt and so on.
    Stealth Assassin
    You can safely appeal to the United Nations in the comfortable certainty that it will let you down. Conor Cruise O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kalif's trying to stir things up.
    Catholics practice their religion.
    You, Kalif practice yours.
    We don't interfere in your religious practices; you don't interfere in ours.

You're not in the Defence Force; you were not asked to go to Lourdes; you have no involvement in the Defence Force, Lourdes....so, go out and cut the grass. It's a great morning for it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The trip to Lourdes is compulsary for all Army, Naval Service(and I think Air Corps cadets) who list RC as thier religion. It is also compluasary for cadets in the military college in the Curragh to attend mass on Sunday mornings as it is for Naval Service cadets when they are in the Naval College in Haulbowline.
    Life is better when your brain is switched on!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

monst says
    The trip to Lourdes is compulsary for all Army, Naval Service(and I think Air Corps cadets) who list RC as thier religion. It is also compluasary for cadets in the military college in the Curragh to attend mass on Sunday mornings as it is for Naval Service cadets when they are in the Naval College in Haulbowline.

The brother's in the army; served in Lebanon, East Timor etc. Doesn't go to Mass. Says he's a Catholic; not one ounce of pressure to practice his stated religion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jetttxyz
    monst says

The brother's in the army; served in Lebanon, East Timor etc. Doesn't go to Mass. Says he's a Catholic; not one ounce of pressure to practice his stated religion.

Read what i wrote... If the brother no longer in training i.e. no longer a recruit or cadet- which he cleary isn't if he has been overseas- then he obviously does not fall under what I wrote above... jebus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jetttxyz
    monst says

Also to clarify... as ur comprehension skills are some what lacking... I was writing only about cadets, you know, members of the defence forces training to be officers... so if the brother is a non commissioned member of the defence forces then I'm not sure he would have encountered this forces participartion in religious services... as a former cadet I can say for certain that i did.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

monst says
    jetttxyz wrote:
    monst says The trip to Lourdes is compulsary for all Army, Naval Service(and I think Air Corps cadets) who list RC as thier religion. It is also compluasary for cadets in the military college in the Curragh to attend mass on Sunday mornings as it is for Naval Service cadets when they are in the Naval College in Haulbowline.

[quote:3jq80lu6]The brother's in the army; served in Lebanon, East Timor etc. Doesn't go to Mass. Says he's a Catholic; not one ounce of pressure to practice his stated religion.
    Also to clarify... as ur comprehension skills are some what lacking... I was writing only about cadets, you know, members of the defence forces training to be officers... so if the brother is a non commissioned member of the defence forces then I'm not sure he would have encountered this forces participartion in religious services... as a former cadet I can say for certain that i did.[/quote:3jq80lu6]

The brother was once a cadet. He's now a non-cadet ie an ex-cadet eg a former cadet ie past cadet.
    Now, please read the following slowly.....when he was a cadet.... in the Defence Force.....said he was a Catholic.....he didn't go to Mass except on days when there was a major function ie some visit or another by a Catholic dignitary.
    The thing about Lebanon, East Timor was a side issue which is irrelevant; and I apologise for it.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast