Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxing -IABA and BUI

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Boxing -IABA and BUI

The online boxing magazine Irish-boxing I suppose is adequate for the amateur and professional scene in Ireland but I have to say: the website of the Irish Amateur Boxing Association (IABA) is very poor for such a prestigious organisation:
    Irish Amateur Boxing Association

They are re-developing the website of the National Stadium (the first purpose-built boxing stadium in the world!!!), I reckon they ought to upgrade their own site also (owners= IABA).

Also, the Boxing Union of Ireland ltd (the professional body here) has no presence on cyberspace whatsoever. I think their president Mel Christle is a big-shot barrister, you would think he could spare a few shekels (heh heh :P ) to establish a website, seeing as there is renewed interest in boxing in Ireland.

Some of the amateur club sites are great, Holy Trinity, Belfast
    "The minarets are our lances, the domes our helmets, the believers our army."
    -Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan in 1997, on Mosque construction in Europe

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Boxing -IABA and BUI

Hi friends, I was watching a martial arts film the other day and seeing this guy do some really good moves like back flips and really high flying kicks. I do some martial arts workouts at home but I want to be really good at it like that soon. How long will it take and is it ok to train at home or do I need to go to classes as well? How long dose it take to train to be really good in martial arts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shalley
    Hi friends, I was watching a martial arts film the other day and seeing this guy do some really good moves like back flips and really high flying kicks. I do some martial arts workouts at home but I want to be really good at it like that soon. How long will it take and is it ok to train at home or do I need to go to classes as well? How long dose it take to train to be really good in martial arts?
    Years - I am 45 and still attending classes - but there are a lot of facets to martial arts. Young men tend to concentrate on becoming the toughest man around but usually this is a passing phase and then you start on learning to perfect the techniques. Really it is up to you.

Let me tell you a secret - forget about those high kicks and back flips - wushu is there to impress - it is a form of showing off. I watch martial arts films primarily to watch the technical perfect of the actors, and to try and watch the different forms, Drunken Fist, Praying Mantis, Muay Thai, Pencak Silat, whether the techniques used are snake, crane, tiger or monkey techniques and so on.

In the street the best techniques are the simple techniques applied quickly and accurately. If you want to learn Martial Arts remember this - only use them to get out of trouble not into it - the best self defence is avoiding trouble. Remember your catechism. Avoid the occasions of sin. Do not go into dark areas, use main thoroughfares, if you see trouble brewing get out of there and running away is a brilliant self defence technique.

Do go to classes - it is the only way to learn properly
    "You Popish rogue" 'ní leomhaid a labhairt sinn
    acht "Cromwellian dog" is focal faire againn
    nó "cia súd thall" go eann gan eagla
    "Mise Tadhg" géadh teinn an t-agallamh

Bodaigh an Cháise táid go hatuireach
    ag filleadh ar a gcéird gach spéice smeartha aca
    gan ghunna, gan chloidheamh gan pinnse chleachtadar
    d'imthigh a mbrígh is tá an cridhe dá ghreada aca.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who cares about web sites - I would be more concerned about the quality of the boxing in Ireland which is, in my opinion, quite good.
    "You Popish rogue" 'ní leomhaid a labhairt sinn
    acht "Cromwellian dog" is focal faire againn
    nó "cia súd thall" go eann gan eagla
    "Mise Tadhg" géadh teinn an t-agallamh

Bodaigh an Cháise táid go hatuireach
    ag filleadh ar a gcéird gach spéice smeartha aca
    gan ghunna, gan chloidheamh gan pinnse chleachtadar
    d'imthigh a mbrígh is tá an cridhe dá ghreada aca.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great news.

Ward and Conlan crowned European champions - RTÉ Sport

I think the Irish have two golds and a bronze. I wonder where could I get a medal table. There's none on the official website.

Describing Mel Christle as a barrister is a little like describing Jack Lynch as a Taoiseach! Christle came from a family where he and his brothers were national champions.
    I think at least 2 brothers were simultaneously boxing champions and they were also Olympians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nudavongs View Post
    Great news.

Ward and Conlan crowned European champions - RTÉ Sport

I think the Irish have two golds and a bronze. I wonder where could I get a medal table. There's none on the official website.
    #Samokov2015 #EuroBoxingChampionships: Here are the European Boxing Champions 2015 - European Boxing Confederation | European Boxing Confederation

The outstanding finals of the EUBC European Confederation Continental Championships took place this afternoon in Samokov, Bulgaria. The EUBC President, Franco Falcinelli attended the event, which beckoned a huge number of spectators inside the Sport Arena of Samokov.

Russia won the medal standings thanks to 4 gold medals. The second place goes to Ireland thanks to 2 gold and 1 bronze medals. Great Britain got the third step of the podium due to 1 Gold, 4 Silver and 1 Bronze Medals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's some username the OP has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    That's some username the OP has.
    Yikes....I'm only seeing it now. It's an old thread from seven years back. Anyway, bask in this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A thread about boxing under "culture and community"!

What next? A thread about masturbation under "self-improvement and personal development"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast