Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Roma have their own Homeland?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should the Roma have their own Homeland?

I know precious little about these people but there are here, there and , indeed, everywhere.

They do not appear to come from any one particular country. Is there a Roma homeland?
    Can they be accomadated in an area they could call their own?

There is the danger that they could be ghettoised. there is the danger they might end up like the american natives, in reservations in out of the way places with little or no services.

Any views on this one/

No rascist trolls need apply, thanks.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Should the Roma have their own Homeland?

M50 Roundabout?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's my understanding that they originated in the Balkans and were displaced over time.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interestingly, according to Wiki there are more Roma in Brazil than Romania, according to official statistics anyway.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If they were all like the photo Wikipedia provides they could make my garden the homeland

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert
    It's my understanding that they originated in the Balkans and were displaced over time.
    huh, I thought it was India!

It would be an intersting country if they had one! The national symbol would be ATMs, national past time would be begging and the anthem would be that horrible "please pleeease peasssee my babbbby plessawee"

Was this a trolling or non trolling thread again?
    Food tastes better when you put it all together! It's the one best mayonnaise!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás
    If they were all like the photo Wikipedia provides they could make my garden the homeland

Wikipedia isn't really representative, is it? In my experience, they tend to look more like this:

As for a homeland, anywhere far away from me is good. I don't have a problem at all in admitting I don't want them in my country. And here's why:
    http://skinflicks.blogspot.com/2007/06/ ... taxes.html

Or perhaps, we could go for the option that suited the Jews. We could give them some Arab country and kick all the locals out. I suggest Syria. It's the furthest away from Ireland!
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaintingMedium
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert
    huh, I thought it was India!

It would be an intersting country if they had one! The national symbol would be ATMs, national past time would be begging and the anthem would be that horrible "please pleeease peasssee my babbbby plessawee"

Was this a trolling or non trolling thread again?
    Well, according to my Yugoslavian great-uncle, the Romas came from around there. But then he did once shoot his TV when Jimmy Carter was on it, he served in Tito's navy and then he fled across Europe to Ireland during the war...
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Roma is a politically correct term for Knacker/Traveller - the fact of the matter is their claim to have a unique culture is totally bogus. All of our ancesters lived in caves and mudhuts at one point then moved up the scale but do we demand to live in a mud hut now because it's part of our 'tradition'. Do we f**k.

Humans evolve and improve and Romas want to remain living a lifestyle from the middle ages - violence, sexual abusive, thieving and all the rest. It's high time they coped on and got with the real world. This marrying off girls, the drinking, the lack of education etc etc are disgraceful and it's not because they are denied access to things it's because they don't want access - they prefer wictim mode like the Aborgininals.

But if I had to pick a homeland - for some reason Offaly is springing to mind with close historical and cultural ties with Tuam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Earl of Desmond
    Roma is a politically correct term for Knacker/Traveller - the fact of the matter is their claim to have a unique culture is totally bogus. All of our ancesters lived in caves and mudhuts at one point then moved up the scale but do we demand to live in a mud hut now because it's part of our 'tradition'. Do we f**k.

Humans evolve and improve and Romas want to remain living a lifestyle from the middle ages - violence, sexual abusive, thieving and all the rest. It's high time they coped on and got with the real world. This marrying off girls, the drinking, the lack of education etc etc are disgraceful and it's not because they are denied access to things it's because they don't want access - they prefer wictim mode like the Aborgininals.

But if I had to pick a homeland - for some reason Offaly is springing to mind with close historical and cultural ties with Tuam.
    You're confusing Romas with Travelers there I'm afraid. Travelers are people who were displaced during the famine. And secondly, like ************************ are you sending Romas to Galway, there's a million odd islands in the pacific...

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast