Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oireachtas TV

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Oireachtas TV

Hi guys..my first post. Well, Oireachtas TV is now on the Digital Aerial TV (Digital Terrestrial Television Trial) in Dublin and Louth. I gather tis encrypted for now. Tis in the Broadcasting Bill due any day now to go before the Houses. I find it very interesting. Have a blog on DTV see:http://irishdigitaltvfan.wordpress.com with some screenshots. Unfortunately that its encyrpted for now as if ya bought at MPEG4 compatible box like Humax HDCI2000T. Teletext not sorted yet. Prob is its hard to get software working with all boxes when it comes to data. Picture and sound, no problem. Teletext etc..harder. Dunno how to post images here. The Img button doesn't seem to work.

A, Oireachtas TV+TV3 Today (proposed news channel in OneVision DTT bid) ie 24hr Irish news channel will be great for political fans like us when we got time to watch it!!! Next up, put is up on satellite and live window on the rte website.

Default Re: Oireachtas TV

They really should have called it TD TV

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Haha..that's a catchy name TD TV. Hehe..its a funny one. But the channel will be covering the Seanad, commmittes, in time local government and also other parliaments, in upcoming Broadcasting Bill. Also a free-to-air Films Channel covering non hollywoord films (world and irish films) has been added to the Bill draft.

Digital Aerial TV (DTT) will be rolled out during 2009. So for now ya can buy the box but need the Dept of Comms smartcard to unencypt the channel to view. No doubt that'll change once they refine the channel content. Its only in test phase now, getting everything working correctly etc...developing things etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatuwant2007
    They really should have called it TD TV

Starkadder

Hello Scath. Welcome to Politics.ie.

Oireachtas TV sounds interesting,giving us a chance to view our leaders in action-kind of like C-Span
    in the US or BBC Parliament in Britain.

when is tv3 going to become digital and get itself a proper website with archives of news etc.

well i suppose oreieachtas tv has way to go to be develope more then just streaming glad to here it will use cspan too.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

just watched prime ministers questions broadcast live on 2 terrestrial channels + at least i digital

always entertaining.

will cowen lift his head up when speaking?
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

I hope they do it the RTE do when they cover something in the Dail- you get the actual speeches followed by some form of analysis/explanation. The content needs to be framed for it to be more easily digestible by the general public. In any case, it is a brilliant idea.
    The political establishment lacks both vision and courage.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just to add. RTE, TG4, TV3, Channel 6 with Irish Word Film channel and Oireachtas Channel on digital aerial is planned to be launched proper between January 2009 and August 2009 depending on who wins. Also these and disapora TV for UK satellite viewers (irish only programmes) will be launched on March 17th 2009. Diaspora TV has been announed by the Minister recently and RTE on the etenders website have advertised for transponder uplink services.

And don't mind the silly reporters who say throw out your aerial. The got confused!!! Nope, just need to buy a DTT box or DTT-Cable or DTT-Satellite combo box. FTA and pay options will be available. Retail could be between free box (Boxer Bid), €99/€159 depeding on pay tier (Easy TV) and under €99 with Onevision bid.

I'm not sure when TV3 will launch and if it will if its OneVision stake bid makes the launch of that conditional. I'd imagine its going to happen anyways. I expec that ITN or Sky will be providing the international news. Sky supply Five. I did email the idea to ITN a few weeks ago. Sky since. Dunno. Maybe they'll go it alone with its big backer on international news. I doubt it though. I did a thesis on the topic. An Irish news channel without an international partner is unfeasible. I expect what'll happen is TV3 Today (TV3 & Sky) RTE News (RTE&ITN as they share Euronews in common). Nowt to stop RTE News and BBC but BBC are well committed already so probably have enough on their plate. This would suit Sky better than Sky News Ireland I'd guess.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Am referring to TV3 Today (news channel) as regards when, not TV3 as is.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Barry Andrews the Comms Committe guy has said as much. I think analysis for the evening yes...i have said the same. Oireachtas TV is live at the moment on the digital aerial trial so RTÉ are doing it. And Oireachtas TV is mentioned in the Broadcasting Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpeoplearewhingers
    I hope they do it the RTE do when they cover something in the Dail- you get the actual speeches followed by some form of analysis/explanation. The content needs to be framed for it to be more easily digestile by the general public. In any case, it is a brilliant idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast