Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What crimes would justify the invasion of Burma?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What crimes would justify the invasion of Burma?

The military junta in Burma controls a disciplined army of youths brainwashed since they were inducted into the army at very young ages. So there is little chance of a military coup. The regime is happy to keep its people poor in order to maintain its iron grip and exploit the country's mineral wealth for the benefit of the military leaders.

What crimes will the military have to commit that would shock the UN enough for it to encourage an invasion of Burma? A programme of mass extermination based on ethnic identity?

The UN is only a talking shop. Why Ireland puts so much faith in it is beyond me. It's only useful as a symbol of international cooperation. The Democracies should form their own UN.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: What crimes would justify the invasion of Burma?

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt
    What crimes will the military have to commit that would shock the UN enough for it to encourage an invasion of Burma? A programme of mass extermination based on ethnic identity? .
    Because Burma is a major supplier of raw materials to China, any "democratic" invasion of Burma would provoke a Chinese reaction.

America maintains forces in the Middle East to ensure it's oil supplies, and China would likely take military action to protect it's raw material supplies also.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadan O'Connor
    What crimes will the military have to commit that would shock the UN enough for it to encourage an invasion of Burma? A programme of mass extermination based on ethnic identity? .
    Because Burma is a major supplier of raw materials to China, any "democratic" invasion of Burma would provoke a Chinese reaction.

America maintains forces in the Middle East to ensure it's oil supplies, and China would likely take military action to protect it's raw material supplies also.

I often wonder if there is an agenda for the reporting of Burma and Zimbabwe. I mean, the BBC are heavily involved.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadan O'Connor

China would not take Military action, it is incapable of making meaningful or forceful military intervention over distance and the Burmese Junta would not welcome it.

As for provoking protest from China anyway? China would have to stand in line. In the current climate no crime, no matter how hideous or rank, warrents the invasion of a soverign nation. Just because a nation is not a democracy does not matter any more.

Since Iraq, victims of injustice the world over are portrayed readily as aggressors or even deserving of persecution, so all pervasive is the pacifist message.
    g4 ... e5
    f3 ... Qh4#

Politics.ie Member A_man_about_a_dog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Frankly, no crime warrants the invasion of a sovereign state. Sovereignty trumps all other principles in international relations, the US/UK coalition just happened to conveniently forget this when they stormed into Iraq.

Unless Burma decided to launch overt military operations against another sovereign state there is no justification for an invasion. And even an overt military incursion into another state is still shady grounds depending on who instigates the following invasion.

Essentially, the only way that change can be brought about in Burma is through pressure from the international community in the form of various embargoes, sanctions and aid based incentives. Or the only other option is of a popular revolt, something that I don't see happening any time soon in a country which has a large portion of the population effectively brain-washed.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.88

Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask why not?
    G.B Shaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joel
    I often wonder if there is an agenda for the reporting of Burma and Zimbabwe. I mean, the BBC are heavily involved.....
    Hmmm... I have no doubt Zimb and Burma are nasty places. I don't think the western Medja are particularly biased in reporting that - however, there are dozens of equally nasty places that are totally unreported.

Zimb is no worse than the CAR, but the CAR has French troops protecting supplies of uranium. Burma is no worse than Uzbekistan, but the Uzbek president is a solid allay in the War on Terror.

Whats unique about Zimb and Burma is that the are nasty places with an independent streak. That is intolerable to the western medja.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Burma's 'Crime' is the same as that of Zimbabwe, Iraq, Serbia etc

It tells the West to f.cuk off and mind its own business...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The UN is only a talking shop. Why Ireland puts so much faith in it is beyond me. It's only useful as a symbol of international cooperation.
    Ireland puts faith in it because the basic alternative is to turn to the old Imperial powers to sort out problems, and as Ireland was occupied by the UK, that's politically unacceptable.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They would need to fall out with China, and be floating on oil.
    "If the Germans land in Ireland they will be welcomed as liberators".

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

None apart from genocide. Iraq should have woken people up to the problems that come with trying to export democracy to countries of a different culture with little experience of democracy. It is not for the West to dictate to the Third World how they should govern themselves. My views on this sort of thing have changed radically over the years because of the situation in Iraq.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast