Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a wine lover?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are you a wine lover?

Hi friends, I thought I should share this information with you... do you know Two glasses of wine a day risks mouth cancer.

Two glasses of wine a day can increase the risk of mouth cancer by up to 75 per cent, scientists warned.

The research also showed two units of alcohol daily raises the risk of breast cancer by 22 per cent.

It also found that men who drink four units of alcohol a day increase their risk of bowel cancer by 64 per cent.

Other research had previously showed that moderate amounts of red wine could have health benefits and may help to prevent heart disease and strokes.

But the Australian report by the Cancer Institute in New South Wales, found there is no safe level of alcohol and said drinking should be kept to an absolute minimum.

The institute’s chief executive, Professor Jim Bishop, said: “Alcohol is a well established carcinogen and is known to increase the risk of several cancers.”

Researchers also found two small glasses a of wine a day raised the risk of cancer of the oesophagus by 50 per cent and cancer of the larynx by 40 per cent.

Drinking eight units a day raised the risk of mouth or throat cancer by four to six times compared to a non-drinker.

Professor Bishop said: “We don’t want a general scare, but the fact is that alcohol consumption on a regular basis, even at moderate levels, can increase the risk.

“Clearly for cardiac disease it may be that red wine is helpful, but for cancer we cannot see any benefit at all from alcohol.”

lussi
    _________
    Cancer Center
    http://cancer-care-center.blogspot.com/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Are you a wine lover?

Is it the wine that is carcenagenic or the sulphates that are sprayed on the grape?
    I'd imagine "fresh" fruit from the supermarket , which are sprayed with a cocktail of chemicals till they shine almost plastic like,contains a greater health threat. I prefer to nick mine from the neighbours orchard.
    Just 1 gram of cocaine destroys 4m2 of tropical rainforest. Give it up ya selfish b'stards.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ignore it, BW. It's just spamming for its stunningly scaremongering US based blog. The consensus is that a moderate (ie one to two drinks a day) intake of alcohol, especially red wine, is of health benefit.
    According to this scaremongerer, everything gives you cancer - a drink, oral sex, god knows what.
    I'm not a medic, but I can speak medicalese and this blog heavily overstates their case throughout.
    And even if everything they write is true, which it isn't particularly, I'd still rather live in a world with fine wine and blowjobs, thank you very much.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

this is lies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bet you're a riot at partys...
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Life. It'll kill you, so we all have a choice to enjoy it or not. As JC Skinner said, a life without either wine or blowjobs wouldn't be worth a damn.
    The theory of De-evolution is proven every day on the internet

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think i'll risk it.

*glug*
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lussi
    Hi friends, I thought I should share this information with you... do you know Two glasses of wine a day risks mouth cancer.

Two glasses of wine a day can increase the risk of mouth cancer by up to 75 per cent, scientists warned.

The research also showed two units of alcohol daily raises the risk of breast cancer by 22 per cent.

It also found that men who drink four units of alcohol a day increase their risk of bowel cancer by 64 per cent.

Other research had previously showed that moderate amounts of red wine could have health benefits and may help to prevent heart disease and strokes.

But the Australian report by the Cancer Institute in New South Wales, found there is no safe level of alcohol and said drinking should be kept to an absolute minimum.

The institute’s chief executive, Professor Jim Bishop, said: “Alcohol is a well established carcinogen and is known to increase the risk of several cancers.”

Researchers also found two small glasses a of wine a day raised the risk of cancer of the oesophagus by 50 per cent and cancer of the larynx by 40 per cent.

Drinking eight units a day raised the risk of mouth or throat cancer by four to six times compared to a non-drinker.
    So up to 8 units,hick, bad, but more than, hick, thats OK yeah! hick
    Good! hick

Politics.ie Member A_man_about_a_dog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RBinge
    Life. It'll kill you, so we all have a choice to enjoy it or not. As JC Skinner said, a life without either wine or blowjobs wouldn't be worth a damn.
    We're here for a good time, not a long time.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.88

Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask why not?
    G.B Shaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster
    I think i'll risk it.

*glug*
    I hope that's the Wine... :P

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast