Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Leonard Hardy!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Free Leonard Hardy!

Can't believe no one has posted this yet.

Leonard Hardy was arrested by Spanish authorities on August 17, in connection with a mortar attack on a British Army base in Osnabruck in 1989. The German authorities are seeking his extradition. Had this man been convicted and sentenced to jail in the 6 counties for the offence, he would be out now under the GFA. You can read more here.
    http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/10899

I urge anyone concerned about the case to email the Minister for Justice, An Taoiseach, your local TD or anyone who may be able to help stop his extradition and get him home safely.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good man DOD.

Let us bring him home asap.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DOD, he hasn't been convicted. I presume that if convicted he can avail of the GFA and live safely in this country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jjcarroll
    DOD, he hasn't been convicted. I presume that if convictedn he can avail of the GFA and live safely in this country.
    Well why pursue the case at all so? That's my hole point. Accept that the GFA is in place and let him free. He has travelled freely in his own name 22 times since his release from prison in 1994.
    "John Bull has got his hand down your pants and his fist around your bollox and you can't see it."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOD
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcarroll
    DOD, he hasn't been convicted. I presume that if convictedn he can avail of the GFA and live safely in this country.
    Well why pursue the case at all so? .
    because he'll have to serve two years of his sentence before being eligible for release under the GFA. I think.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Am I missing something here? The crime was committed on German soil.
    Did Germany sign up to the GFA?

He has not been found guilty of anything as yet so let justice take its course.

I know it is tough on his partner Donna Maguire but I am sure things will work out just right in the end!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bruffer
    Am I missing something here? The crime was committed on German soil.
    Did Germany sign up to the GFA?

He has not been found guilty of anything as yet so let justice take its course.

I know it is tough on his partner Donna Maguire but I am sure things will work out just right in the end!
    the 'crime' as you call it was an attack on a British Army base in Germany, at a time when the IRA was at war with the British Army. Most other prisoners of that war have been let out of prison.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he's a hostage and no one blinks an eye but if republicians grab an ex brit you wouldn't here the end of it. and iam serious

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The guy appears to be a suspect in a serious crime committed on German soil. I have no doubt that he will be given a fair trial - if the case goes that far. Therfore talking about prisoner of war is premature.
    I dont know what passport he was travelling on ( seem to remember a little family difficulty on that one in the past) . But I am sure he will have access to full consular representation.
    So chin up - innocent until proven guilty and all that stuff...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bruffer
    The guy appears to be a suspect in a serious crime committed on German soil. I have no doubt that he will be given a fair trial - if the case goes that far. Therfore talking about prisoner of war is premature.
    I dont know what passport he was travelling on ( seem to remember a little family difficulty on that one in the past) . But I am sure he will have access to full consular representation.
    So chin up - innocent until proven guilty and all that stuff...
    The whole thing is, it is irrelevent whether he is innocent or guilty. This so called 'serious crime' was an attack on a British Army base at a time of war, and had he been convicted of it in the north, he would be out now. The German Authorities should be requested to withdraw the arrest warrant and drop the case in light of the Good Friday Agreement.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast