Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Top hotel told to keep foreign staff away from US guests

Gimpanzee

Default Top hotel told to keep foreign staff away from US guests

A 5-star hotel in the North that will be hosting business delegates attending a major US investment summit has been asked by Invest NI to keep certain foreign workers way from the visitors

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp= ... f&rss=rss2

A five-star hotel in the North has apparently been told to keep some of its foreign staff away from business delegates attending a major US investment summit, it emerged today.

Newly appointed Taoiseach Brian Cowen and British prime minister Gordon Brown are among those who are travelling to Belfast for the high-profile economic conference, which begins tomorrow.

The Stormont government’s business promotion body, Invest Northern Ireland, has apparently raised concerns with the Culloden Hotel on the outskirts of Belfast that migrant workers with broken English would be serving potential investors from America.

The luxury spa and hotel resort, where guests can pay €520 a night for a suite, has a number of Eastern European staff members on its books.

Invest NI is staging a series of breakfast meetings at the hotel as part of this week’s conference programme.

It is understood its request has required a reorganisation of the shift rota at the Culloden with extra staff from the North being drafted in.

So, smart move or backfire territory?

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Top hotel told to keep foreign staff away from US guests

Talk about shooting themselves in the foot!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Nice, keep them in the dark when "important" people are around, I wonder how they treat these workers normally?
    Food tastes better when you put it all together! It's the one best mayonnaise!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for that posting. Very interesting.

Several American visitors to Ireland have expressed to me their disappointment that the hospitality sector is now dominated by Eastern Europeans and other foreigners. As one said: "I came to Ireland to meet the Irish, but all I meet are Poles".

If he wanted to meet Poles he'd have gone to Warsaw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twtone
    Thanks for that posting. Very interesting.

Several American visitors to Ireland have expressed to me their disappointment that the hospitality sector is now dominated by Eastern Europeans and other foreigners. As one said: "I came to Ireland to meet the Irish, but all I meet are Poles".

If he wanted to meet Poles he'd have gone to Warsaw.
    There's probably loads of Irish working there
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I chose the Hotel f or my wedding specifically because most of the staff are Irish. Eastern Europeans are surly, inflexible and humorless. They may be hardworking and honest but so what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mountainyman
    I chose the Hotel f or my wedding specifically because most of the staff are Irish. Eastern Europeans are surly, inflexible and humorless. They may be hardworking and honest but so what.
    I wonder what they think of you

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's the thing I don't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mountainyman
    I think they're only like that around you mate. I work with a couple and they are great craic, not in the least bit surly and very, very flexible. Perhaps you are thinking of Russian because on balance I have found them to be quite arrogant and condescending (a higher than expected number, not them all obviously.)

Slovakians, Czechs, Poles, Hungarians.....I could go on but they all seem sound out to me? But then I'm a people person who people like to like!

Wonder why they dont like you?
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Front Of House"staff should always be Irish,people visit us to meet us ,if i go abroad i want to meet the locals ,its so simple a seven year old would get it.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast