Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 562

Thread: Ballymurphy Massacre Forgotten victims.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Tiernanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Ballymurphy Massacre Forgotten victims.

    Relatives of those slaughtered by the British Parachute regiment in Ballymurphy are seeking to have an enquiry and official recognition that their loved ones were innocent victims of the British Army. 11 people were murdered including women and a priest.

    The true scale and nature of the atrocity was hidden because of the introduction of internment however the families of those killed have never given up hope that recognition and recourse should be afforded to them. This event that took place over three days in August 1971 was a tragedy and a total disgrace. It was also sadly a trial run for the massacre of Bloody Sunday in Derry that happened the following January.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Catalpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dublin West
    Posts
    10,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Ballymurphy Massacre Forgotten victims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiernanator
    Relatives of those slaughtered by the British Parachute regiment in Ballymurphy are seeking to have an enquiry and official recognition that their loved ones were innocent victims of the British Army. 11 people were murdered including women and a priest.

    The true scale and nature of the atrocity was hidden because of the introduction of internment however the families of those killed have never given up hope that recognition and recourse should be afforded to them. This event that took place over three days in August 1971 was a tragedy and a total disgrace. It was also sadly a trial run for the massacre of Bloody Sunday in Derry that happened the following January.
    Details or Link please?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Tiernanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Ballymurphy Massacre Forgotten victims.

    UK indymedia Ballymurphy 11 daughters campaign.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Ballymurphy Massacre Forgotten victims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa
    Details or Link please?
    You've never heard of it?

    Basically the exact same troops who were in Derry on Bloody Sunday went on a killing spree in Ballymurphy. They set up sniper positions on rooftops in the Loyalist Springmartin Estate and spent a couple of days killing random civilians, including women and a priest who went out to administer Last Rites to one of those shot.

    They came back to the same area in July of 72, after Bloody Sunday, and shot dead another 5 civilians at random, an event sometimes referred to as the Springhill Massacre.
    Je suis un loo-lah

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Catalpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dublin West
    Posts
    10,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Ballymurphy Massacre Forgotten victims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa
    Details or Link please?
    You've never heard of it?

    Basically the exact same troops who were in Derry on Bloody Sunday went on a killing spree in Ballymurphy. They set up sniper positions on rooftops in the Loyalist Springmartin Estate and spent a couple of days killing random civilians, including women and a priest who went out to administer Last Rites to one of those shot.

    They came back to the same area in July of 72, after Bloody Sunday, and shot dead another 5 civilians at random, an event sometimes referred to as the Springhill Massacre.
    Oh I certainly have but claims made online need to be backed up.

    Trouble with the Paras is they were just not cut out for this kind of thing - great bunch of soldiers to have on your side when going into battle and need serious marking if playing for the opposition.

    But a disaster in an urban enviroment where one wrong move can trigger a riot and shooting.

    All they did was just make a bad situation worse.

    IIRC the Irish Government tried to have them removed from the North alltogether back in the 1980's?

    Read Asher's Shoot to kill for a no holes barred account of serving there with them.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Ballymurphy Massacre Forgotten victims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa
    Trouble with the Paras is they were just not cut out for this kind of thing - great bunch of soldiers to have on your side when going into battle and need serious marking if playing for the opposition.

    But a disaster in an urban enviroment where one wrong move can trigger a riot and shooting.

    All they did was just make a bad situation worse.


    I'm surprised at you. That's a load of snivelling, grovelling, servile, spineless bollocks.

    They deliberately, with planning and malice aforethought, went out to murder Irish civilians at random. There was no "mistake", no "thought they were under fire", no "riot", no "badly trained for the situation", or any of the rest of the bolloxology that grovelling gimps like to trot out to excuse the deliberate cold-blooded slaughter of their fellow citizens.

    It was deliberate policy, which they carried out on at least 3 occasions over the course of a year, resulting in the deaths of at least 30 completely innocent Irish people.

    Open yer fecking eyes and grow a pair, man.
    Je suis un loo-lah

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    So Theresa Villiers was on Morning Ireland today and wasn't asked about her decision not to have an inquiry into the Ballymurphy Massacre.

    Govts in close contact after Adams arrest - RTÉ News

    The journalists and politicians expressing outrage over Jean McConville's murder are happy to ignore other murders.

    Which means they're not really that bothered about murder at all.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Mickeymac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36,142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjoejoe View Post
    So Theresa Villiers was on Morning Ireland today and wasn't asked about her decision not to have an inquiry into the Ballymurphy Massacre.

    Govts in close contact after Adams arrest - RTÉ News

    The journalists and politicians expressing outrage over Jean McConville's murder are happy to ignore other murders.

    Which means they're not really that bothered about murder at all.



    Disgusting, shame on those West Brits.

  9. #9
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

  10. #10
    Thomas_
    Guest

    Default

    It´s probably just the case that it´d be again a lot of work to do and much money to spend on having every case from that time reviewed and brought to court. I suppose that this has been the real reason behind the decision by the British government. They might fear that it could cost them as much as Bloody Sunday.

Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •