Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boris to be London Mayor

Politics.ie Member President Bartlet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Boris to be London Mayor

It now seems increasingly likely that given the Labour Party in Britain's dreadful election results that Red Ken Livingstone will be ejected as Mayor of London and be replaced by Boris the Bafoon Johnston. The fun that the media will have - I think it will be great watching him make a pigs breakfast of it at times. Downing St sources fear he has won.
    Bring back Tony Blair all is forgiven - Brown is an electoral liability.
    Will the same fate befall Fianna Fail with Cowan taking over. How long before we say - come back Berite all is forgiven?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Boris the Bafoon to be London Mayor

Apparently it does not look as certain this morning that Johnson will be lected as it did when the council results started coming in but he's still favourite to win.

Politics.ie Member A_man_about_a_dog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Watching the election ocverage on BBC last night, the various Tory pundits were openly admitting that Boris would be a major liability going towards the general election, should he make into office. All of them were saying that David Cameron and Tory HQ would have to keep him on a short rein and make sure that he was not allowed to make appointments all on his own.

If he's elected I reckon they'll need to do a hell of a lot more than that to try and make his time as mayor a success. Perhaps they should consider locking him in a room for the duration of his term?
    Economic Left/Right: -2.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.88

Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask why not?
    G.B Shaw

Boris is a character but he's politically sound; a good unapologetic Thatcherite.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M
    Boris is a character but he's politically sound; a good unapologetic Thatcherite.
    Jesus, that's the problem. I don't think many Londoners miss her, it was never exactly her heartland.

Moving this thread to foreign affairs
    "Politics is not the art of the possible. It consists of choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable."
    John Galbraith
    Economic Left/Right:-8.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian:-6.97

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nation wide the Labour party is not stuffing tax payers money into the pockets of commnuity leaders like Livingston is in London. I do not think Boris will beat Ken. Livingston has too many people depending on generous handouts from city hall.
    g4 ... e5
    f3 ... Qh4#

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hear the Boris victory tour begins tonight on the Breck Road in Liverpool. Kelvin McKenzie is handling the PR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Boris is far from a buffoon, a comedian he certainly is, but as shakespeare said, bewaare the jester. Boris has turned from being an anonymous backbencher to one of the best known politicians in Britain through his courting of celebrity status, his remarks about liverpool were controversial but not as far wrong as they were painted, he is portrayed as some sort of racist exenophobe despite having been born in new york to a family of mixed race english and turkish people, he won a schoalrship to eton, and another to oxford, both things which require brains, he has worked for three national newspapers including being editor of the very polemical spectator, and despite being an MP for just seven years he has held two positions on his parties front bench and been deputy chairman of the party, yes he does have a crumpled, muddled air about him, the absent minded p[rfessor stereotype, but I think people in Britain warm to that on many levels,. it was one of the things which initially heklped gordon brown, they dont want automatons, or politicans who are a little to obviously on the make, I dont know if boris will win, if he does and is a success then he will go very far in the party, if he fails it will be by a narrow marghin, but he will have boosted his profile
    "Sometimes the best thing a government can do is simply get out of the way"-Vince Cable

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiepops
    Jesus, that's the problem. I don't think many Londoners miss her, it was never exactly her heartland.
    It was never the Tories' strongest region but Thatcher won London convincingly in each of her general election victories.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Boris to be London Mayor

A sad day for London.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast