Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First FG Candidate Declares in Kildare South

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default First FG Candidate Declares in Kildare South

Chair of Athy Town Council, Cllr. Richard Daly last night announced his intention to seek a Fine Gael nomination for election to the 30th Dáil.

Speaking at a meeting of the Kildare South Constituency Executive he said the following: "Fianna Fáil have had the advantage of an extra seat in Kildare since the last election but they have not progressed the agenda for which they sought that mandate. Health, education, infrastructure and public safety are all areas which have been neglected despite a phenomenal tax take. If they can't live up to their promises in times of plenty, what hope for the county and the country as resources begin to decline? I have had enough of the neglect and lack of social conscience of this government and will fight to remove their wasted majority in South Kildare"

I'm delighted that Richard has deicded to put his name forward. He has been doing Trojan work in the Athy area since his election in last year's locals, and he will make a great general election candidate.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When is the Selection Convention? Will it be a 1/2 candidate strategy, whats Daly's profile like outside of Athy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NGTR
    When is the Selection Convention? Will it be a 1/2 candidate strategy, whats Daly's profile like outside of Athy
    No date as yet for the convention, but the Election Strategy Committee should be meeting soon to come up with dates and also to recommend a number of candidates to HQ. I think we're all operating under the assumption that it will be 2 candidates as per 2002.

Richard gets lots of airtime on local radio so he certainly has some profile beyond his Athy base, and he has been commenting on issues that affect the entire county rather than just Athy issues. Whatever happens, he will certainly succeed in bringing a lot of votes in from the south of the county, and hopefully a good chunk of the John Dardis votes that were secured by 'diminished honesty' about the M9 route.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aodh_rua
    I think we're all operating under the assumption that it will be 2 candidates as per 2002
    Surely you don't consider 2002 to have been a 2-candidate strategy?!
    Given the......erm......."performance" .....of Col. Rainsford Hendy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When will the O'Shea/Geraghty dream ticket be launched?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Daly runs, he won't be challenging for a Fianna Fail seat, he'll be challenging for Jack Wall's. Whether he's the right man or at the right man is open to debate, but he's certainly in the wrong place.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jjcarroll
    When will the O'Shea/Geraghty dream ticket be launched?
    When the plot to politically assasinate their rivals (all rivals!), comes to fruition, I should think.. So give it a general election or two.. :twisted:
    We, ahem, I mean they, are waitin till we have installed our, damn I mean their allies in bordering counties, such as the Bruton/Carroll ticket amonst others..
    Ireland interests are best secured within a more dynamic EU. Vote YES to Lisbon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheChief
    Quote Originally Posted by aodh_rua
    I think we're all operating under the assumption that it will be 2 candidates as per 2002
    Surely you don't consider 2002 to have been a 2-candidate strategy?!
    Given the......erm......."performance" .....of Col. Rainsford Hendy
    Rainsford did have to contend with a deliberately misleading campaign by the government candidates regarding the M9 route.

As for which seat Richard will be targeting - both Jack Wall and Fianna Fáil's Sean O'Fearghail operate out of Athy, even though O'Fearghail is from Kildare Town, so I'd imagine that Richard will be trying to reclaim the votes and seat from O'Fearghail. He must have one of the lowest Dáil profiles and the local FF machine are increasingly unhappy with him.

Ahem - Derrick less of the assasination talk in public

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whatever about O'Fearghail's profile Wall's isn't exactly high. If selected its a clear indication that FG are targetting the seat of a Labour party TD given Athy is Wall's main base.

Have FG got nobody in Kildare or Newbridge they could run? Athy is considreably smaller than those areas as I understand it.
    "Everyone hates Fianna Fáil except the electorate."

Unattributed correspondent, 1960s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thegeneral
    Whatever about O'Fearghail's profile Wall's isn't exactly high. If selected its a clear indication that FG are targetting the seat of a Labour party TD given Athy is Wall's main base.

Have FG got nobody in Kildare or Newbridge they could run? Athy is considreably smaller than those areas as I understand it.
    Fine Gael have not selected any candidates as yet so you may be getting ahead of yourself. That said, a reasonable 2 candidate strategy would involve one in the Athy LEA and one in the Kildare LEA. Richard would certainly make an excellent candidate in the Athy area. There are potential candidates in the Kildare\Newbridge area, but as no convention has been announced yet, no names have been officially put forward for consideration.

As for Deputy Wall, he has a good local standing thanks to his Oireachtas service since 1997 and his years as chair of the County Board. Deputy O'Fearghail on the other hand achieved election by engaging in parochial politics to the nth degree and taking Alan Dukes's seat. His subsequent record as a legislator has been less than inspirational and when he and his FF colleague Sean Power (the Junior Minister who fumbled Leas Cross) approch the people they may find the Kildare South electorate are as unforgiving as our northern cousins.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast