Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do Councillors actually do?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What do Councillors actually do?

There has been a lot of talk recently about the role of councillor and how hard it is and how maybe it should be full time and paid up and all the rest of it. There must be some truth to this given the attrition rate on dublin city council in particular recently.

But from what I know of the operation there are perhaps two mandatory meetings a month (area committees and full council meeting) and perhaps an SPC or VEC thrown in bringing it up to perhaps 4 (or 5?) meetings a month.. Now granted these are daytime meetings which mightn't suit someone in private employment but it's still not that arduous.

Presumably they get invited to lots of residents meetings and all that malarky as well but that's not mandatory and a lot of these are a waste of time anyway. They probably spend a bit of time canvassing or leafletting their own locality and talking to the press but that's political stuff that anyone involved in politics should be up to anyway..

So what else do they get up to? Maybe the councillors on here could shed some light - what volume of representations do you get? What official council work do you do in addition to the above meetings?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: What do Councillors actually do?

A lot of State employees are paid by the State to attend Council meetings, being given time off to do so with pay. They are also given a salary type payment for their Council duties.

They should be double or tripple paid
    Fianna Fail will allow the Irish People, to me milked like Milch Cows, by the CIF through high house prices, rents, and land prices, at the expense of competitiveness,and quality of life. FF+CIF=1

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not a lot but it is not entirely their fault.It is high time real power should be given to local authorities. Maybe John Gormley would consider setting up a commission to examine this matter and report to Govt within 2 years.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldkilcormack
    There has been a lot of talk recently about the role of councillor and how hard it is and how maybe it should be full time and paid up and all the rest of it. There must be some truth to this given the attrition rate on dublin city council in particular recently.

But from what I know of the operation there are perhaps two mandatory meetings a month (area committees and full council meeting) and perhaps an SPC or VEC thrown in bringing it up to perhaps 4 (or 5?) meetings a month.. Now granted these are daytime meetings which mightn't suit someone in private employment but it's still not that arduous.

Presumably they get invited to lots of residents meetings and all that malarky as well but that's not mandatory and a lot of these are a waste of time anyway. They probably spend a bit of time canvassing or leafletting their own locality and talking to the press but that's political stuff that anyone involved in politics should be up to anyway..

So what else do they get up to? Maybe the councillors on here could shed some light - what volume of representations do you get? What official council work do you do in addition to the above meetings?
    5-7 funerals per week as well, you forgot that
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    Quote Originally Posted by oldkilcormack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loner
    Not a lot but it is not entirely their fault.It is high time real power should be given to local authorities. Maybe John Gormley would consider setting up a commission to examine this matter and report to Govt within 2 years.
    I agree the government of this country is far too centralised.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel
    for someone who is running in the locals, that's very cynical!
    The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i am a councillor. in fact i am the only councillor for my party in most of north munster. i work 40 hours a week at least as a councillor. i make several representations a week. remember some politicians make representations or say they do but i chase up my representations to the final conclusion which takes time. i spend most sundays doing paperwork ie representations looking up similar cases in other councils in the internet, press releases etc. i also work full time. if you take your job seriousely you will be busy if you get elected by a big party machine you can take it easy until 6 months before the next election.

Politics.ie Member seamasdefaoite's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gonepostal
    i am a councillor. in fact i am the only councillor for my party in most of north munster. i work 40 hours a week at least as a councillor. i make several representations a week. remember some politicians make representations or say they do but i chase up my representations to the final conclusion which takes time. i spend most sundays doing paperwork ie representations looking up similar cases in other councils in the internet, press releases etc. i also work full time. if you take your job seriousely you will be busy if you get elected by a big party machine you can take it easy until 6 months before the next election.
    hence why we need to make the job of councillor a full time job
    Seamas de Faoite,

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gonepostal
    'Tis hard to get a pint out of you though I bet ..

1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast