Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkey's EU membership - Yeh - Nay ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Turkey's EU membership - Yeh - Nay ?

Will Turkey's EU membership be something positive or negative? / An Turcaí mar Ballstáit den Aontas Eorpach - rud maith é , nó rud olc é?

When Turkey joins, it's a relatively poor country with 70 million predominantly Sunni Muslims, nearly bigger than the population of Germany, the EU's current biggest state.

I think that Turkey as a secular state(non sharia based) may provide a perfect example for other Muslim countries to follow, admire and emulate as an integrated member of the European Union.

The fact that Turkey will become an integrated EU member state, may help to eradicate islamisic extremism around the world.

What do ye think? /Céard a cheapann sibhse?

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Turkey's EU membership - Yeh - Nay ?

A definite "Nay". Post-911, it would be insane to open our borders completely to a Muslim country with 67 million people. Only a tiny % of them need to be terrorists for us to be in danger. And anyway, it's democratic and human rights credentials are called into question when you have a court case going on now in which an attempt is being made to ban the ruling party. I don't want any more big, poor countries joining the EU.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Turkey is a great country, im going there in 2 weeks for the 5th time.
    I dont see why they shouldnt join the EU, it would help their economy which is on the rise anyway.
    I know a few people with property there and the prices are rising, and will further if they join the EU.
    Very peaceful respectful people who have a great fondness for the Irish who were a great aid to their tourist trade as the Irish flocked their in their droves and still do.
    Ive never been to a place where people were so laid back, great craic and polite.
    Ive been all over the world and Turkey is still my favourite destination, im sure the usual suspects will be up in arms shouting about their Muslimphobia , also you can hardly say they dont deserve to be part of the EU because they dont have enough money, its not a wine bar and the ROI was accepted in while it was hitting hard times.
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Turkey is a great country, im going there in 2 weeks for the 5th time.
    I dont see why they shouldnt join the EU, it would help their economy which is on the rise anyway.
    I know a few people with property there and the prices are rising, and will further if they join the EU."

Great, so because you've had a couple of holidays there and your mates want to make a killing on their holiday homes, we should let 80 million turks into the EU and become one of the most powerful members due to voting rights. Lets all forget about the human rights abuses, armenian genocide etc.

"also you can hardly say they dont deserve to be part of the EU because they dont have enough money"

No, I'd say they don't deserve to be in the EU, because they are not part of Europe. Let in Turkey, who's next ? Morocco ? Libya ?

Great idea having Europe bordering on Iran , Iraq etc

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nay because of their appalling human rights record.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bob3344

No, I'd say they don't deserve to be in the EU, because they are not part of Europe. Let in Turkey, who's next ? Morocco ? Libya ?

Great idea having Europe bordering on Iran , Iraq etc
    15% of Turkey is technically on the continent of Europe, Istanbul with nearly 15 million people is geographically in Europe.
    Also, it would be good to have Turkey on our side, so we can guarantee security to European Oil lines going from Turkmenistan through the Caspian sea and through Turkey to Europe, since Russia is actively threatening Europe's oil pipelines.

Politics.ie Member Squire Allworthy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would view the Ural mountains as the boundary of Europe. We have been through all this before.

In any case what is there in a name. Should we be limited by a name? Would Canada be able to join if it so desired. I would hope it would. What if Russia at some future date decided to join? Is it European enough? Or the Ukraine? What about the Balkans? Is Malta or Cyprus part of Europe? What about Greenland?

We should engage with Turkey positively and by so doing improve the civil rights of its people. It would also show that we are not excluding in terms of race, colour or religion. We should be a beckon of hope.

There are also strategic consideration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The fact that Turkey will become an integrated EU member state, may help to eradicate islamisic extremism around the world.
    I'd love to know how this would happen?

The EU is already huge, with nearly 500 million people, about 100 million of whom live in eastern European countries well behind the average GDP per capita. Funding those countries and their outmoded agriculture and industry is bad enough without adding a country of 70,000,000 which also requires major funding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    A definite "Nay". Post-911, it would be insane to open our borders completely to a Muslim country with 67 million people. Only a tiny % of them need to be terrorists for us to be in danger. And anyway, it's democratic and human rights credentials are called into question when you have a court case going on now in which an attempt is being made to ban the ruling party. I don't want any more big, poor countries joining the EU.
    So so narrow minded..but hey its FT!!!

You are also selfish....
    For a Liberal Fianna Fáil perspective, take a look at www.donnachamaguire.com

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    So so narrow minded..but hey its FT!!!

You are also selfish....
    I call it enlightened self-interest. No true patriot could encourage a trend of more Irish Ferries-type scenarios of replacement workforces being imported to replace entire or large parts of Irish workforces, or the downward pressure on wages it implies.

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast