Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 309

Thread: Stardust Tragedy

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Stardust Tragedy

    Despite all the new evidence uncovered in recent years and the findings of experts employed by the victims families, that question the original verdict of ‘Probable Arson’ rendered after the Tribunal of Enquiry set up to investigate the causes of the Stardust fire in Artane, is there a chance that when Brian Cowan takes office he will agree to a new inquiry?

    It has been common knowledge, to interested parties, that Bertie Ahern has done everything in his power to halt any such proceedings, for reasons best known to himself.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member TheBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Stardust Tragedy

    <Mod>Moved to the Justice forum.</Mod>
    Heavy words are so lightly thrown.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Stardust Tragedy

    Purpose of a new inquiry is what ?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    817
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Stardust Tragedy

    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    Purpose of a new inquiry is what ?
    To get much deserved justice for the victims and their families.
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

  5. #5

    Default Re: Stardust Tragedy

    Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS
    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    Purpose of a new inquiry is what ?
    To get much deserved justice for the victims and their families.
    Define justice v witchhunt because some people feel that there has to be someone to blame.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    817
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Stardust Tragedy

    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS
    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    Purpose of a new inquiry is what ?
    To get much deserved justice for the victims and their families.
    Define justice v witchhunt because some people feel that there has to be someone to blame.
    I think that feeling is justified and hardly a 'witchhunt'. They deserve to have their concerns about the original inquiry addressed and a new inquiry if necessary.
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

  7. #7

    Default Re: Stardust Tragedy

    Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS
    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS
    To get much deserved justice for the victims and their families.
    Define justice v witchhunt because some people feel that there has to be someone to blame.
    I think that feeling is justified and hardly a 'witchhunt'. They deserve to have their concerns about the original inquiry addressed and a new inquiry if necessary.
    They won't accept the result of a new inquiry if it comes back with the same findings as the old one.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    817
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Stardust Tragedy

    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    They won't accept the result of a new inquiry if it comes back with the same findings as the old one.
    I think it's deeply insensitive to make such a presupposition. The family had legitimate concerns about the manner in which the orignial inquiry was carried out. They have legitimate concerns about the nature of the present investigation. Perhaps Brian Cowen can, being more removed from the parties involved, address the concerns of the victims and families properly.
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

  9. #9

    Default Re: Stardust Tragedy

    Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS
    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    They won't accept the result of a new inquiry if it comes back with the same findings as the old one.
    I think it's deeply insensitive to make such a presupposition. The family had legitimate concerns about the manner in which the orignial inquiry was carried out. They have legitimate concerns about the nature of the present investigation. Perhaps Brian Cowen can, being more removed from the parties involved, address the concerns of the victims and families properly.
    You know it and I know it that the families want a different outcome and anything short of that will be a slap on the face for their campaign.

    In the couple of years following the tragedy there was a campaign and invited Noel Browne who was a TD for the area along as assummed he would go along with them, he attended 1 meeting and refused to get involved again.

    Morning after the fire I thought for a while it could have been UDA but that was just hearing the reports of the fire on the radio where information still sketchy.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    817
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Stardust Tragedy

    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    You know it and I know it that the families want a different outcome and anything short of that will be a slap on the face for their campaign.
    If the investigators were more removed from the Butterlys and Haughey/Ahern there wouldn't be as much controversy. Hopefully Cowen can sort it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe
    In the couple of years following the tragedy there was a campaign and invited Noel Browne who was a TD for the area along as assummed he would go along with them, he attended 1 meeting and refused to get involved again.
    I'd say they aren't as well organised or politically aware as they could be. It must be difficult with such a large group.
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •