Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Pope really welcome in America?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is the Pope really welcome in America?

Default Re: Is the Pope really welcome in America?

Yes of course it is anti catholic. They are tolerated because they don't support abortion or gay rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Hank Tree
    Pope Benedict XVI has begun his first visit to the US. Link

But despite it's large Catholic population, is America still fundamentally Anti-Catholic?

The Last Acceptable Prejudice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With the alrewady substantial and still growing influence of hispanic voters being courted by both Democrats and Republicans, the Pope will always be welcome by the politicians. Catholics vote.
    g4 ... e5
    f3 ... Qh4#

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

George Bush went out to Andrews AF base to welcome him personally. That is highly unusual apparently. Other interesting factoids. ... Bush's brother Jeb converted to Catholicism, when he married his catholic wife.... There are more Catholic judges on the US Supreme court than any other religion. So, maybe it's just the Bush family that likes them, but I doubt it.

That article "The Last Acceptable Prejudice" is a terrible whinge.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It isn't an anti-Catholic country. There are pockets of anti-Catholicism in the more in-bred and time-warped parts of the South, but then there are pockets of anti-Communist and anti-Extra-Terrestrial hysteria in the same parts. There is also the usual trendy liberal bleating about the Church's 'oppression' of one group or another, which is seen in every advanced country on Earth. I would say Ireland has more problems in this regard than America, virtually every Irish comedian, and many commentators, in the 1980s and 1990s had no other material than how bad the Church was, how personally oppressed they were. This infantile whinge-fest is still common here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The KKK relaxed its restriction on Catholic membership 20 years ago and has stricken off all edicts attacking Catholicism.

Catholic values have been espoused as being consistent with American values by more and more elements of the far right. This is in line with a more accommodating view of Judaism.

Intolerance in the States is far more colour or nationality orientated these days.

Kerry was a Catholic, his religion was never mentioned as being problematic in the last US presidential election. Indeed there are moves within mainstream conservatism and evangelicalism in the US to unite all the sects of Christianity against the perceived threat of Islam.

Ultra conservative Evangelists and Catholics have far more in common than not.
    Veni, vidi, arrivederci

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Read a book on the Blackwater company some time back and what was very interesting was that many of the leading Neo-cons were Catholic, something I had not known.

Starkadder

Quote Originally Posted by Sligoboy
    The KKK relaxed its restriction on Catholic membership 20 years ago and has stricken off all edicts attacking Catholicism.
    As if any decent person-Catholic or otherwise-would want to join that despicable organisation. :x

On another note, here's an interesting article about the relationship between
    Catholics and American society:

http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?art ... atholicism

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would say overall he is probably welcome in America. It gives the impression that he is happy to turn a blind eye to U.S policy as he is prepared to talk with Bush. I think this will make the majority of americans feel content. I dont aspire to either's point of view but my respect for the pope is at an all time low.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast