Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did " Starry " O'Brien ever cough up ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Did " Starry " O'Brien ever cough up ?

Bertie Ahern was awarded damages against him, he still hadn't got a cent quite close to the date on which the claim would have expired. Anyone know if the money was eventually paid. I believe there is some public office in which such payments are recorded, but I don't know where.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Did " Starry " O'Brien ever cough up ?

They got the money just at the deadline, after journalists started asking questions. There's a story, if ever there was one, that requires some old-fashioned journalistic snooping...

Starkadder

Who is "Starry" O'Brien? I don't know this particular story.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger
    They got the money just at the deadline, after journalists started asking questions. There's a story, if ever there was one, that requires some old-fashioned journalistic snooping...
    Not at all! It's completely transparent. Starry's friends just organised a whiparound. End of story.

Starkadder

Ah, "Starry" is Mr. Controversy, himself, Denis O'Brien.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0710/ahern.html

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starkadder
    Who is "Starry" O'Brien? I don't know this particular story.
    O'Brien was a Cork man, once an associate of Owen O'Callaghan, who came forward in 2000 with a story that he personally handed over a bribe of 50K to Berie Ahern on behalf of Owen O'Callaghan. It wasn't true. The problem with it is that he made a strikingly similar case to Tom Gilmartin's, but just different enough (his personal involvement) for the story to be proven untrue. O'Brien made no attempt to stand up his case in court when Ahern sued, just folded. The case has been used for years to attack Tom Gilmartin with, even though Gilmartin had nothing to do with it. Gilmartin gave evidence that he was personally warned not to comment on the case, that it was a set-up, by whom we don't know, and attempts were made to subpoeana him to back up O'Brien, which he refused. He never commented on the case once.

The questions that arise are, firstly, why did O'Brien come forward with such an obviously false story that he was never going to stand over? Secondly, why, when the court case collapsed and he had been completely ruined, did O'Brien appear on the steps of the court grinning and just saying 'sin a bhfuil' as if he had only lost a button on his jacket. Thirdly, are the reports that he lived a good lifestyle in Spain for several months afterwards true? And finally, how did O'Brien pay it? Gilmartin, and Frank Connolly who was given the story, are adamant the whole thing was an elaborate set-up, a 'sting' to entrap Gilmartin and subsequently damage his credibility as a witness.

There might be perfectly innocent explanations for all of these things. But they are interesting questions for a nosey journalist, nonetheless.

Politics.ie Member A_man_about_a_dog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not Denis "East Digifone/Billionaire" O'Brien.

I assume that is who you were thinking of with "Mr Controversy"?
    Economic Left/Right: -2.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.88

Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask why not?
    G.B Shaw

Starkadder

Quote Originally Posted by A_man_about_a_dog

Not Denis "East Digifone/Billionaire" O'Brien.

I assume that is who you were thinking of with "Mr Controversy"?
    My mistake, it's a different Denis O'Brien, not the Digifone guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    this was surey a set up if ever there was one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    O'Brien was a Cork man, once an associate of Owen O'Callaghan, who came forward in 2000 with a story that he personally handed over a bribe of 50K to Berie Ahern on behalf of Owen O'Callaghan. It wasn't true. The problem with it is that he made a strikingly similar case to Tom Gilmartin's, but just different enough (his personal involvement) for the story to be proven untrue. O'Brien made no attempt to stand up his case in court when Ahern sued, just folded. The case has been used for years to attack Tom Gilmartin with, even though Gilmartin had nothing to do with it. Gilmartin gave evidence that he was personally warned not to comment on the case, that it was a set-up, by whom we don't know, and attempts were made to subpoeana him to back up O'Brien, which he refused. He never commented on the case once.

The questions that arise are, firstly, why did O'Brien come forward with such an obviously false story that he was never going to stand over? Secondly, why, when the court case collapsed and he had been completely ruined, did O'Brien appear on the steps of the court grinning and just saying 'sin a bhfuil' as if he had only lost a button on his jacket. Thirdly, are the reports that he lived a good lifestyle in Spain for several months afterwards true? And finally, how did O'Brien pay it? Gilmartin, and Frank Connolly who was given the story, are adamant the whole thing was an elaborate set-up, a 'sting' to entrap Gilmartin and subsequently damage his credibility as a witness.

There might be perfectly innocent explanations for all of these things. But they are interesting questions for a nosey journalist, nonetheless.
    now that OOC is off the pitch,can this matter advanced any more I wonder. I think it was all a set up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast