Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Section 140 arrive in County Sligo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Section 140 arrive in County Sligo

Section 140 motions are almost unknown in Sligo but now they have arrived.
    The agenda for next Monday's meeting of the County Council includes a Section 140 motion to grant planning permission for a house in Rosses Point.
    Why? and why is the motion proposed by a (FG) councillor from another electoral area?

Section 140 Motion
    Consideration of Local Government Act 2001 Section 140 motion to grant planning permission to Mr John Mullaney to construct a dwelling house, septic tank and percolation area at Ballyweelin, Rossespoint, Co. Sligo, in accordance with plans
    submitted on Planning Register PL07/1272

Link

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hurray! another for the "Councillors can't plan" File
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which FG Councillor as submitted this?
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what is a Section 140 motion?
    Europe will be in a war for resources within ten years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newswire
    Which FG Councillor as submitted this?
    I believe that it is Tony McLoughlin.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I could be wrong but is that the sameMullaney as in the Business man?
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by majlraep
    Never come across it being used before so not sure if a court has made any rulings on it. Basically it appears that if the local planning officials have turned down a planning appication, an elected member can propose a section 140 to seek to have the County Manager over rule the rejection of the application by the planners and to instruct the relevnet officials to issue a grant of permission. The motion requires a majority support by councillors but not sure if that is a simple majority (51%) or if a weighted majority is required (60%-40%) Any elected members available to clarify what is the position?
    It seems to me that if such a motion was successful, this would have very serious implications for the entire planning process so for that reason I cannot see that this is the intention behind this section of the Local Government Act. Having said that, Part V of the Planning and Development Act was gutted by amendment to render it almost meaningless, so with the close ties between government and the building industry, you never can tell.
    I can change my avatar again - but I must stay good- and play the ball not the man

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by majlraep
    It's where the councillors order the county manager to "do something" like grant planning permission.

.. a bit like, say you went to your hospital thinking you needed an X-ray, but the doctor refuses to give you one. So, you go to your local TD, who orders the hospital to do the X-ray. Councillors know as much about the technicalities of building control, as TD's do about X-rays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The applicant is John Mullaney, Ballyweelin, Rosses Point, Co. Sligo. Like you, I asume it is the businessman.
    The National School tried to comment on the application but left it too late.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by essexboy
    The applicant is John Mullaney, Ballyweelin, Rosses Point, Co. Sligo. Like you, I asume it is the businessman.
    The National School tried to comment on the application but left it too late.
    They can make their views known to the Councillors who effectively become the decision makers under a Section 140.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast