Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The cruel sport of kings.

Gadjodilo

Default The cruel sport of kings.

I'm not a fan of the gee-gees anyway so it was purely by chance that I came across the British Grand National on TV last Saturday. I could only watch it for a couple of seconds before I turned away in disgust. I'm an animal lover and the sight of those magnificent animals crashing over the huge fences and falling on the other side was utterly sickening.

Two horses were killed during the race (it's usually more) and it really does seem that those fences are designed to cause horses to come crashing down. The vast majority failed to finish. Make no mistake about it; with their large bodies and thin legs, a fall is far more likely to be fatal for a horse than it is for a human. Of course, a fall may not kill the horse but if they can't race again as a result of the injury, they're put down. For all the eulogisation of these noble creatures, they're viewed as no more than racing machines.

Worst of all is the whip. Is it really necessary in this day and age? Cruelty to animals is illegal yet riders are allowed to whack the horse to such an extent that the unfortunate animal must go faster. Why not ban the whip altogether? It would still be a level playing field.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Them horses would do the same to us if they got the chance.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it horse racing or just this specific race that you have an issue with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought that philately was the sport of kings!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The race is a bit of a joke to be honest. I don't know how anybody can take it seriously. It's more like Gallipoli than a horse race.
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only one horse was killed in the National.These animals live in better conditions then most of the worlds population.They may get the odd crack of a whip during a race but its much better then ending up on a dinner table.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS
    The race is a bit of a joke to be honest. I don't know how anybody can take it seriously. It's more like Gallipoli than a horse race.
    However, the gambled on joint Fav won.

Worst of all is the whip. Is it really necessary in this day and age?
    Excessive whipping is punishable.
    It does have one use, other than an incentive to run faster, in that it can be used to keep horses straight.

and it really does seem that those fences are designed to cause horses to come crashing down.
    They're not. Ever seen a showjumping fence?

The vast majority failed to finish
    Most of them shouldn't be there in the forst place, its a vanity on the part of owners/trainers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether
    Quote Originally Posted by HanleyS
    However, the gambled on joint Fav won.
    My only issue is the number of competitors. They capped it for safety reasons but it's still excessive. It's a big one for the bookies though.
    The future saviour of the Irish Economy: Charles Darwin

Gadjodilo

Quote Originally Posted by rubberduckey
    Is it horse racing or just this specific race that you have an issue with?
    With regard to the fences, the Grand National is notorious. Anecdotal evidence suggests that excessive use of the whip is worse in flat racing.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Btw Gadjodilo-you don't seem too worried about jockey Mick Fitzgerald who had 8 hours of surgery yesterday to correct a serious injury incurred during the race.Please feel free to ignore the real story and concentrate on emotional,misleading rubbish.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast