Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Achill 'House of Prayer' a fraud?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Achill 'House of Prayer' a fraud?

RTEs Prime Time had a feature last night about the 'House of Prayer' on Achill Island and its founderess Christina Gallagher who claims to receive visions from the Virgin Mary.

The piece can be seen here:

http://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shame to see €90,000 taken from that elderly woman. Questions also about that priest who still carries out his duties.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unfortunately a lot of apparitionists develop complete delusions of self-importance and start making up mad claims about supposed predictions given by Jesus and Mary. One nut job in New York has predicted the end of the world, 19 times, courtesy of chats with the Virgin Mary. (Apparently the next 'end of the world' is this Sunday!)

Another nutter claimed the Virgin Mary was telling her that Pope Paul was being drugged and held tied up in the Vatican with an actor put in place by Liberals pretending to be the Pope. They even produced pictures of the pope and the 'actor' supposedly showing how the shapes of their noses and ears were different. (And yes they were. Their website conveniently showed pictures of an youngish pope circa 1963 and the 'actor' in 1977. They conveniently forgot that people when they hit their 70s often have their face shape change. Noses droop. Eyes droop. Ears become floppy. It is called ageing.)

So deluded fanatists who think Jesus and Mary are chatting with them can believe they have the right to do anything. Sure didn't God and his mammy authorise it?
    (Guys, when I type in capitals it isn't shouting. I have technical problems which makes using italics difficult. Please don't take offence if you see capitals used!)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The world is full of deluded and dangerous religious nutjobs these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Saw that one - sounds a bit dodgy IMO.

But sure it just goes to show that fools and their money are easily parted.

Real visionaries like St Bernadette, The Children of Fatima and Padre Pio led simple and religious lives even after they achieved fame.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Padre Pio? I read lately he'd been exposed as a fraud too!

Pio was always claiming to be sickly and in pain even as a young man. During the First World War he was in the army but spent much of his time in the infirmary. It appears to me that the priest had a psychiatric condition known as Munchausen syndrome. The founder of Rome’s Catholic university hospital concluded that the priest was “an ignorant and self-mutilating psychopath who exploited people’s credulity.” Reports to the Pope, about the priest, claimed he used a metal-tipped whip to beat himself. Of course in religion mental illness can easily be sanctified. In theological fantasy the mentally ill are either demon possessed or saints.
    http://nogodzone.blogspot.com/2007/10/padre-pio-fraud.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tizona
    Padre Pio? I read lately he'd been exposed as a fraud too!
    Well its all down to whether you want to beleive in him or not.

Clearly while he lived his following was huge.

In a Country with such a healthy level of cynicism of the great and the good as Italy has that is no mean achievement.

I read they are putting his body on public display this Summer - don't miss it!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A fraud? I'm afraid it seems so. From what I've heard they can't produce any evidence that this "God" even exists.
    Worth breaking my "no sig" rule for: http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joemomma
    A fraud? I'm afraid it seems so. From what I've heard they can't produce any evidence that this "God" even exists.
    Have you got any to the contrary?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got any proof there isn't an invisible tree growing out of your head?
    'It would actually give me the greatest of pleasure watching non-compliant taxpayers going to jail. That's the kind of person I am.' Bertie Ahern, 1993.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast